Thread: i need software to ....

Dawgy

i need software to ....

.... monitor bandwidth used on leased galleries & such. anyone know of anything, or of a simple way to do this?

JustMe
    Greetings:

Are they galleries that you're licensing TO others? Or are they galleries that you're leasing FROM others?

If they're ones that you're licensing FROM others, there's really no way for you to set anything up, as the bandwidth is flowing through a network that you have no control.

However, if as I suspect, it's something that you're licensing TO others, there are several tools available on the market that can accomplish this for you.

My all time favorite for doing this sort of thing, out of all the
    packages I've evaluated through the years, is actually a free one called MRTG "Multi Router Traffic Grapher". And fear not, you need no access to a router for what you're planning on utilizing it for. It can monitor your NIC and you can configure it to make just about any sort of statistic under the sun based on data collected from it, or from an unending amount of sources such as log files, sysinfo, hubs, switches, you name it.

It has a nice interface that lets you configure and/or program in modules. Or, if you're not tech savvy, there is a HUGE archive of such things that others have created, and I'm more than certain that if you spend the time looking, you'd find exactly what you need without having to spend a cent on a programmer.

http://www.mrtg.org

I also STRONGLY recommend this package to others on here as well. From plotting trends in your traffic, to bandwidth monitoring, to link exchange graphs, literally your imagination is the limit with this thing. I think the second you see the graphs that it outputs, you'll be saying to yourself "hey, i've seen this sort of graph a TON of places". I've been using it for years now, and can't imagine running a site without it.

:thumbsup:

awstats and webalizer are both free and very nice stats tools, assuming of course you have the hosted galleries on their own domain or at least their own account on your server???

cheers,
    Luke

Dawgy
    i have bandwidth stats.

i need to be able to break it down by customer & bill each person based on bandwidth they use.

dont be jealous becuase i'm beautiful, be jealous because i just fucked your boyfriend
    Dawg, you're gonna have to hire a programmer to do it for you. There isn't anything out of the box out there or at least that I could find. You'll get better results if it's customized the way you want it anyway.

why not set each account up as a subdomain? ask your host, but that way, you may be able to use mrtg for each subdomain as a separate account.

d'oh did not read that properly, sorry I don't know of any program that will do that.

cheers,
    Luke

Bell
    would billing them via the ticket system work for what you need to do - thereby combing the tracking and the billing all in one step ?? making it more of a pay-as-you-use type service...

where they purchase the tickets or tokens and then use those to download individual items - or perhaps a batch of items to reduce the amount of times they have to redeem tokens/tickets for content...

~Bell

Dawgy, did you ever find anything for this or are you going to be developing it yourself?

cheers,
    Luke

Dawgy
    i havent found anything but im looking. i know of a few feeds who do this, so im in touch with those owners to see if there is some knowledge they will share or sell. worse case scenario i spend one weekend writing something. i gotz mad skillz yo.

thanks for the update!

cheers,
    Luke