Thread: If surfers didn't use spaces......

Rainbo1956

If surfers didn't use spaces......

If surfers didn't use spaces when doing a search in their SE of choice, there are so many really good domain names left out there!

I was looking at buying some more domain names, only, I found them to be kind of long...about 3 short words (the others I wanted were really short one or two word domain names...but, they were all taken.)
    Except, there are some very "defined" short 3 word names left.

(I'd give an example, except I'm waiting for Stom to give the go ahead as to buy them or not)

How many of you think surfers actually run their words together when doing a search? And, do you think that it really matters?

Oh for the days of being able to pick up line word domain names again...

And, what do you think about running outta good domain names? When do you think "THAT" will happen, if ever?

Has anyone got an opinion about whether or not it matters IF your domain name sucks, compared to how you get traffic and what you do to get the traffic and what the SE's pick up?

I know I have seen some really weird domain names at the top of google, that have NOTHING to do with what I was looking for...is it all in how you promote now?
    For an example, I've searched for "concrete" and got a lawyers site at the top of google that said "so and so law firm" (I don't remember the name) but, it sure didn't have a thing to do with the concrete I was looking for...

Are domain names a thing of the past? Is it just about how it's spidered/indexed or whatever, and the marketing?

robin
    Hi Rainbo1956

Quote Originally Posted by Rainbo1956
    How many of you think surfers actually run their words together when doing a search? And, do you think that it really matters?
    That's what my partner was wondering about a while back... He was saying "oh I see you're at the top of google..." And I told him, "So what, you're probably the only person in the world who is searching for my site by typing in "gaydatingtips"...

And, what do you think about running outta good domain names? When do you think "THAT" will happen, if ever?
    Nope won't -- I heard that back in 1999 -- It was declared official -- there were no good domain names left. UH-Huh!...

Has anyone got an opinion about whether or not it matters IF your domain name sucks, compared to how you get traffic and what you do to get the traffic and what the SE's pick up?
    I have a domain that gets heaps of traffic that has nothing to do with the domain name. That's kind of cryptic so... here's the domain: pencildude.com

As another example you can still google "waffles" and come up with John Kerry... On a slightly unrelated note....Oh and for sponsored links you get "new & used waffles" for sale at ebay for a google ad. LOL.

So really, domain names can and do play a part -- but it's how you optimize, market and get linked.

Rainbo1956
    Quote Originally Posted by robin
    Hi Rainbo1956

That's what my partner was wondering about a while back... He was saying "oh I see you're at the top of google..." And I told him, "So what, you're probably the only person in the world who is searching for my site by typing in "gaydatingtips"...
    LOL...that's what my partner and I go through.
    He looks for our sites by typing the name in, and then sees they're at the top of google an thinks "Oh, wonderful", so I ask him to type in something pertaining to the site and we're no where to be found...

Yeah, I kind of figured that it's been a few years now that most of the "great" domain names were/are gone.

What kind of stinks though is, when someone tries to optimize their sites, or a newbie looks into it....now, everyone is selling info and I feel it's bull. (Yes, there are some good tuts out there though)

But, everyone has a gimmick now to sell, to promise to get you to the "Top" of the SE.

It reminds me of reincarnation in a way...like there are so many out there that claim to have been King Tut in a past life, or that there are so many too that claim to have been Sitting Bull...

Well, we can't "ALL" be on top of the SE...that's impossible...as well as we can't all have been Sitting Bull in a former life....

But, people will still try to sell you the info on "How to make it to the top of SE's" or convince you they were a famous person in a former life...

robin
    Yes, we'll all be #1 for "gay sex" or "Internet Marketing", or "Best Travel Deals", or.... Whatever...

Haha! If there's some idea to sell a guru or wannabe guru will pop up and milk it for all its worth.

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?
    Thats actually very good advice, i know we have found a wide range of domains that have actual traffic from search engines because people arent putting spaces in their search terms

Regards,

Lee