Thread: Changing IP's effect on Google?

Am i gay? Am i straight? And then i realized ... I'm just slutty. Northstar's Avatar

Changing IP's effect on Google?

My host is moving all my sites over to a dedicated server and changing my IP's. Will changing my IP effect my Google traffic. I get a lot of traffic from google and don't want to risk losing any traffic from them. I did some research and it said to keep my old IP addresses active for a couple weeks to make sure google picks up the new IP's. Is this the best thing to do? Has anyone else change IP's recently and did it effect your traffic at all? Thanks

Dzinerbear
    Last year some time I moved all of my sites from one host in Canada to Chili Host and I didn't notice a decrease at all in Google traffic or rankings, and I have a lot of top ten rankings for fairly decent keywords.

Dzinerbear

Am i gay? Am i straight? And then i realized ... I'm just slutty. Northstar's Avatar
    Thats reassuring. Did you have any downtime during the transfer? Dzinerbear

Dzinerbear
    Nope, that's one of the things I love about Chili Host, well, Luke actually. Luke transferred everything (server to server) while I was sleeping. He changed my DNS pointers. And when I woke up, my empire was operating from the new location. It truly was the only thing that I've ever done with computers that was simple and easy. One day I'm going to go visit Luke and take him a big, huge bottle of whatever it is that he drinks.

Dzinerbear

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?
    It used to be that changing an IP could have an adverse effect on listings in Google however over the past few years i have noticed this is becoming less important to them.

All of our domains and sub domains have unique ips and even when we changed the server we host GWW on to a new one with new ip addresses nothing changed, the same was also true for a range of our other sites.

Regards,

Lee

Michael you are too sweet! Thankyou.

And for the question, it used to affect s.e. rankings, but search engines stopped this practice quite a few years ago.

cheers,
    Luke