Thread: Windows Media Encoder Question

Windows Media Encoder Question

Normally, when someone has a question like this, I'm the one who answers it.. so go figure.

Ok.. my problem is this.. I'm capturing digital video from my SONY DVCAM deck onto my PC via Firewire using Windows Media Encoder, and although I've never had any problems with setting in and out points for my EDL, since I reinstalled Windows XP, I get this odd error message saying that my deck doesn't allow remote control...

Has anyone ever had this problem before? Microsoft is about as much help as tits on a wild boar and Sony is only just a little better.

You don't have to be straight to be in the Army; you just have to be able to shoot straight. ponyboy's Avatar
    hi there
    I own the sony dvd-201 handy cam
    which model do you have, because with mine I can only get the video from sonys softwear, and then have to edit it throw somethng else.
    try this web site
    http://www.camcorderinfo.com/bbs/f102
    hunt around for your model
    roy

On the other hand.... You have different fingers
    I've had weirdnesses like this with Premere before. I'd guess two possibilities:

1. If there are settings within WM encoder that tell it what kind of camera it's talking to, then the settings file may have gotten corrupted. With the older versions of Premiere, you had to tell it what camcorder it was controlling, but with the newer versions, it is autosensing. Not sure about WM.

2. For an unknown reason, Premiere will just randomly decide not to talk to the camcorder and say that it isn't capable of being controlled. When this happens, I usually reboot a couple of times, in various combinations of camera off or disconnected and on and connected at time of boot. With no consistency I've been able to determine, this eventually fixes the problem.

3. If that still doesn't work, I've had success unseating and reseating the firewire card. Of course, if it's built into your motherboard, that probably won't work.

Hope that helps.

I'm actually using a deck, and not a cam-corder, but I think I figured it out, that I only had service pack 1 and not 2 installed.

so I'm gonna install that and see if that works.

I hate Windows more than you'll ever know.

thanks,boys.. I'll try both of those things if this doesn't work.