Thread: WARNING:AOL AIM terms updated-msgs not private-AIM has public reproduction rights!

WTF? WARNING:AOL AIM terms updated-msgs not private-AIM has public reproduction rights!

America Online, Inc. has quietly updated the terms of service for its AIM instant messaging application, making several changes that is sure to raise the hackles of Internet privacy advocates.

"You waive any right to privacy. You waive any right to inspect or approve uses of the content or to be compensated for any such uses," according to the AIM terms-of-service.

"In addition, by posting content on an AIM Product, you grant AOL, its parent, affiliates, subsidiaries, assigns, agents and licensees the irrevocable, perpetual, worldwide right to reproduce, display, perform, distribute, adapt and promote this content in any medium,"

The terms give AOL ownership of "all right, title and interest in any compilation, collective work or other derivative work created by AOL using or incorporating this [user] content."

The changes could have serious ramifications for AOL's AIM@Work service, which is being marketed to businesses. AIM@Work offers things like Identity Services to allow the use of corporate e-mail address as AOL screen names. It also offers premium services like voice conferencing and Web meetings.

FULL STORY

This change of terms occurred February 5th.! AOL has been promoting using AIM with your MS OUTLOOK.. which gives them access to all of your personal emails as well.

How do you guys feel about this? Will this affect the way you use AIM? Will this affect the way you use any messaging service in the future?
    Naked Straight Men on Squirtit & StraightBro

~ In Production ~

Blindfoldmen.com
    scifimen.com

GLBTcity

Aoh*ll

I listed my AIM nick in my profile, but you probably won't ever see me online.

Anyone using AOH*LL deserves nothing better IMO.

Sorry AOL users if that offends you. You pay $25/month for your privacy to be violated... go figure!

You don't have to be straight to be in the Army; you just have to be able to shoot straight. ponyboy's Avatar
    Way back when I did have an aol account. I had listed my web site in my profile. It seemed like every now and then they would kick me off with an e-mail saying I had to talk to them. When I did it was because I had an adult web site in my profile.
    If people use their IE-6 that comes with the aol program, it will not let you go to a lot of web site. So they try and steer you to what they think you should see.
    Any way I can’t wait for the day they go under, they keep on losing members. AOL, they think there are the internet gods
    Have you ever noticed that aol members want everything for free?

Rainbo1956
    I don't use AIM...don't use anything to do with AOL and I never would again.
    That's ever since I had the trouble with them giving out my cc # and information. One of their "other" companies illegally took funds out of my account (autovantage)
    I had to go to a law firm to get it cleared up.
    I got it cleard up, and funds returned...but, I found out what crooks AOL really are. You credit card is NOT safe with them at all. In fact, none of your information is safe with them. It's been proven over and over again, but people just don't believe or listen.

Quote Originally Posted by Rainbo1956
    I found out what crooks AOL really are. You credit card is NOT safe with them at all. In fact, none of your information is safe with them. It's been proven over and over again, but people just don't believe or listen.
    I've heard this over and over again. Like a while back they weren't cancelling when subscribers stopped the service and kept charging them over and over again. I had a friend that continued to be charged by AOL for six months past the date she cancelled and even after she filed a complaint with them.

I remember when the real internet started to come on the scene and I wanted to put my searchable database of apartments for rent in the U.S. on AOL's internet service. I had to fill out all these forms with them to put it on their service, have so many employees, so much income, tax returns etc. I just said forget and put it directly on the web.. and the rest is history. Never looked back after my experience with them. :francais:

Don't forget guys Gmail reads all your email and tailors adds for you based on your emails content :teach:
    Naked Straight Men on Squirtit & StraightBro

~ In Production ~

Blindfoldmen.com
    scifimen.com

Polish my nuts and serve me a milkshake Buck Angel's Avatar
    WOW! That is so sick! I just cancelled my AOL account this past week and I am so glad I did. Something was telling me to do it. Always listen to your gut feelings!
    So when I went to cancel of course they were trying to get me to stay because I have had that account for 7 years. They said you can have it for 9.95 instead of 25.99..hahaha! Anyway I said just cancel me please they said yes but the account is open for 6 months and if I or anyone logs onto my account I will be charged...so because they have my CC on file I am going to cancel that card so they don't have any of my credit info and can't charge me. I heard those horror stories as well of people getting billed after service.
    I am sure that the goverment is in with AOHELL..everyone should stop using them there is no need for that service there are so many better ones. They are anti everything! Stop giving supporters of BUSH your money!

Buck :evil:

Rainbo1956
    Quote Originally Posted by Buck Angel
    They said you can have it for 9.95 instead of 25.99..hahaha!
    You always could get it for $9.95, hell, in some cases for $5.95...though they never tell you that until you want to cancel.

I am going to cancel that card so they don't have any of my credit info and can't charge me.
    Very wise move...be sure you do, because the burden of proof would be on "you" if they decide to charge you and tell you someone used your account.

everyone should stop using them there is no need for that service there are so many better ones. They are anti everything! Stop giving supporters of BUSH your money!

Buck :evil:
    Amen to that!

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?
    Well its definately an interesting clause, although it seems to be more in the way of 'marketability' of their service rather than being used as a 'snooping' clause.

Regards,

Lee