Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moved to a Mac, life is so much better !

I'm very uncomfortable with the idea of vaginas. They bother me in the way that spiders bother some people. Huskyhunks's Avatar

Moved to a Mac, life is so much better !

I recently went from the PC environment to the Mac. I've got a G5 and couldn't be happier with the results. No more viruses, spyware, patches, updates, rebooting, rebooting again, repeat... browser locking etc, etc...

I was concerned that there wouldn't be versions of the same software I used with the pc. Well, it turns out, I was able to find programs that met or exceeded my pc based software. For Thumbsplus, I use GraphicConverter from Lemkesoft.com and I'm blown away by the program at only $30 compared to $75 for Thumbsplus.

The StuffIt program is ten times easer than Winzip. ITunes and IPhoto (builtin) are much easier to use than the native pc programs. You can drop and drag things right into the trash can. It's so cool. I recommend the change. Life is so much easier now. I wish I had changed sooner :thumbsup:
    Artist/Painter and Webmaster of Huskyhunks.com.

Marc
    wow, nice!

I thought about switching, do they have an ergonomic keyboard (with the split in the middle) and ergonomic mouse?
    I tried a mac but the keyboard and mouse were standard and it hurts my hands after a while.

Ive never been able to figure out video editing on the pc and i guess on the mac its super easy

Marc
    oh and how do the prices compare? was it more expensive than a pc or about the same, or cheaper?

I am straight, but my ass is gay jIgG's Avatar
    marc you can use your current keyboard/mouse with a mac, i think the connectors are the same

I'm very uncomfortable with the idea of vaginas. They bother me in the way that spiders bother some people. Huskyhunks's Avatar
    I got the new mac mini g5 that's only 6 inches by 6 inches. The base system has enough ram and space to work on all my programs simultaneously like photoshop cs and Go Live without any problems. It cost $500 plus tax here at the Mac store in san francisco. I used the same monitor and microsoft ergonomic keyboard that required a $20 adapter to convert it to usb. I got to keep my favorite monitor,mouse, and keyboard and I'm very happy about that.

Of course you can always upgrade the mac mini or go for the PowerMac if you need an extemely powerful computer. My needs are met by the mac mini.

My Glorious Mac editing station is not only beautiful, easy to use, solid, reliable, amazingly functional and everything else, it's also portable.

I have a 12 inch iBook G4 with external drives and burner, Final Cut Pro, DVD Studio Pro,Motion, Soundtrack, Cinema Tools...

everything you'd need.

and it fits in my carry on luggage,soI can work from anywhere..I edited a movie on the plane from Toronto.
    Jasun Mark. Crass of the Titans.

Jason,

My partner has titanium g4 powerbook and has a multimedia suite on it. I am green with envy. I can't wait for apple to come up with something to dazzle him so I can "inherit" the powerbook. It's such an incredible machine. He works for a Mac consultant group that converts pc users to the mac world. I'm a believer now but I resisted for years and years.

I was seriously considering getting a mac laptop but decided against it because I have 15+ years experience on PC support and like the fact that I can dig around the system to customise my computer, and I know from experience that trying to dig around a Mac is almost impossible. But I also know that for design work you just can't beat a mac!

glad you are loving it

cheers,
    Luke

On the other hand.... You have different fingers dirtygeek's Avatar
    My roommate has a Mac and he loves it. I'm not sure what the specs are. I tried it a few times, and I really liked the feel of how everything worked. The only thing that kept throwing me off was I kept wanting to right-click on everything.

Jasun has the perfect size computer. It's the perfect size. (Plus it's cute! )
    You'll get more with a kind word and a 2 by 4 then you'll get with just a kind word.

Stunner Media Presents 8 great programs:
    IndieBucks | StandAhead | BoyCrushCash | Phoenixxx | <a href="http://hunkmoney.com/">Hunk Money</a> | <a href="http://nats.britishbucks.com/">British Bucks</a> | <a href="http://nats4.emoprofits.com/">Emo Profits</a> | <a href="http://latinobucks.com/">Latino Bucks</a>

You don't have to be straight to be in the Army; you just have to be able to shoot straight. ponyboy's Avatar
    When the g-5 came out I went to look at it at the Mac store. They didn’t have one with the dual chip, the sales man told me the price and then added in all the soft wear, I just said thanks but no thanks.
    I’m now looking at the dell xps
    My brother has a g-4 he had tons of problem with it when he went to the new op system, but he loves it! I might try the mini that just came out

Xstr8guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Huskyhunks
    I got the new mac mini g5 that's only 6 inches by 6 inches.
    The MacMini doesn't come with a G5. http://www.apple.com/macmini/

My bad, it's definitely a G4 on the mini. I'm not sure how long I'm gonna keep this particular model because I want a regular g4 with a dual processor, something I don't think this mini is equipped for. I don't think I need a g5, which has 5 to 7 times more processing power. That's too much computer for me right now. Plus, it's alot more expensive.

Xstr8guy
    A Multiprocessor G4? That's technology straight out of 2000. I don't think Apple has made a a multi G4 in a couple years. Imo, you would be better off with a new single G5 rather than a used dual G4... maybe even a new iMac. An iMac with a 1.8GHz G5 with a 20" LCD goes for $1900... and it's dead sexy

One of the processors will have it's own hardrive and will be strictly to emulate windows and unix. I need to see the output (my large non adult photoshop files) not only on the mac platform but the windows and unix as well.

I'm not interested in spending any more money. I'm not that serious of an adult webmaster anymore. I'm more into photography, still life, digital imagery, more artsy things. I don't require as much from a computer now. I haven't worked in a couple of months on the adult end and I love it. I will more than likely phase things out over the coming year.

Oh I forgot to say, my partner takes and rebuilds apple's from the ground up. He can do just about any set up possible and also knows some tricks that aren't exactly taught at the apple store tutorials. He usually uses pc's for scrap to build these frankenstein suped up apple systems.