Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Half of internet users delete cookies

I am straight, but my ass is gay jIgG's Avatar

Half of internet users delete cookies

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor..._cmp/159402976

that can't be good for any program that relies on them, me thinks

I delete my cookies on a daily basis.

I clear my history, I clear my cache and I erase as much as I can.

Having cookies put onto my browser to track what I do kinda feels like Walking into Walmart and having them send a guy to follow me around the store and write down everything I do.
    Jasun Mark. Crass of the Titans.

JustBryce
    Yes, i think you have to look at cookies as a nice backup. If for some reason my link code disappears, then the cookie is still there. But, as the sole source of affiliate tracking, I think it cheats the affiliates. I'm sure the sponsors love it, but they are probably counting on us not to care or take note..

So now I have to ask myself, why are we still pushing sponsor who are doing this? hmmm

some spyware removal programs also remove cookies when you run them.

i'm sure it's great for the programs - 'cause their affiliates' cookies disappear, and if the surfers come back to buy, the program doesn't have to pay someone for the join.

desslock
    The fact of the matter is that in order to get paid on our referrals, and sales are tracked with cookies.

They are a critical component of how advertising and marketing is conducted on the Internet. And that's our business.

Steve

that's true - however adaware is a very popular spyware remover that removes cookies, too, unless you are careful. many spyware removal programs do this. and i think eraser programs remove cookies, to.

i notice on nats stats that a surprising amount of surfers return at least once to a site before joining. if the returning surfers have removed their cookies, and the affiliate program uses cookies to track, there is no way to give an affiliate credit for those joins.

maybe this is one of the reasons that people who change their traffic from an affiliate program to their own site see a jump in their initial sales.

JustBryce
    Dresslock, cookies are a nice backup, but there are many ways of tracking customers such as passing variables in the query string, php sessions, etc. Its best to have every way possible so that the affiliate has the best chance of getting the credit, imho.

There are sites (shamless plug: mesmerotic.com) that do both. We aren't the only ones by far. I know all sites that use NATS are setup that way. I think MPA3 does as well. There are others too. However, i would venture that more than 50% of sponsor sites seem to just track with cookies including big ones like Sean Cody and Bad Puppy.

Radical Rick
    HALF!? That # seems terribly high, I didn't know that many internet users knew HOW to delete their cookies.

I am straight, but my ass is gay jIgG's Avatar
    you'd be surprised

both my boyfriend's bro and dad are pretty clueless when it comest to PCs, his dad especially, but both regularly delete cookies

desslock
    Thanks, Bryce. That is interesting. I do not understand the technology behind those alternative tracking methods, but that sounds heartening.

Now frankly, regarding the paranoia behind deleting your cookies every day: The last thing I wanna do every time I look at Amazon and eBay is to login with my name and pass Every Single Time.... and then to the newspaper sites..... wsj.com....

And obviously I use cookies so I don't have to login to GWW or other message boards every single visit. Deleting cookies willingly would really just be so much more inconvenient.

Not to mention my appreciation to all the webmasters like me who use tracking cookies so they can make a living from the advertising they run......

Steve

On the other hand.... You have different fingers
    Mmmm, cookies are delicious
    Don Mike
    DonMikeCali@gmail.com

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?
    Quote Originally Posted by JustBryce
    Dresslock, cookies are a nice backup, but there are many ways of tracking customers such as passing variables in the query string, php sessions, etc. Its best to have every way possible so that the affiliate has the best chance of getting the credit, imho.
    Yep parsing a query code through is how we'll be doing it along with the use of php sessions.

Cookies, imho, are an antiquanted form of tracking affiliate sales, especially as so many adware / spyware removal programs delete them.

Regards,

Lee

GLBTcity

Extra Mile

Quote Originally Posted by Lee
    Yep parsing a query code through is how we'll be doing it along with the use of php sessions.

Cookies, imho, are an antiquanted form of tracking affiliate sales, especially as so many adware / spyware removal programs delete them.

Regards,

Lee
    We've gone the extra mile for our affiliates/customers. The referrer=xxx is tracked throughout the site, a sale is made, the referrer is referenced in the sale and maintained in our database.

HOWEVER!

We know that people delete cookies, we also know that maintaining good business relationships is VERY important.

Sooooooooo... we went the extra mile. We create a separate database offline. We list the customer's first order (name, address, etc) from an affiliates link in the offline database under that affiliate's information.

Since there are only two of us that actually process orders, we recognize names. But, we cross reference the name with our affiliates database for previous orders from that customer. IF the customer's first order came from the result of an affiliates link and the current order does not reflect the affiliates referrer code, we still make sure the affiliate gets credit for the sale. It just seems fair. We're in business to make money, not be crooks or forget who helped to make us successful.

PapaBear

AusCoding Allan
    Good to see that we are finding ways of continue to track affiliate referrals other than just cookies.

Excellent to hear,

Cheers,

Allan

You don't have to be straight to be in the Army; you just have to be able to shoot straight. ponyboy's Avatar
    I run three spy wear programs and they remove cookies