Thread: Question

jal36

I Wonder? Question

Is there a way to use your computer as a webhost? :goof:

Yes, it is possible by installing some web server software, however, I would STRONGLY recommend against this for several reasons:
    - you would likely be violating your ISP's t&c, especially if you are hosting adult sites, this will get you shut down and banned from most ISPs
    - although your dsl or cable has great download speeds, usually your upload speeds are capped at 256kbps or maybe 512kbps, those are painfully slow and will easily max out with only a handful of surfers browsing your site
    - running a webserver means you are opening up your computer to every single hacker on the internet, if you have no experience running servers you WILL be hacked and it is very likely that your computer will be part of some nasty illegal activity
    - web hosting is CHEAP compared to your ISP costs, you can get starter hosting accounts from $10-25/mo and you will get way more bandwidth, security, stability and peace of mind

There are also prolly a hundred more minor reasons against home hosting, but those ones are the biggies. If you want to setup a hosting account and want to discuss your needs and your budget, I would be happy to chat with you and help out. Just contact me via PM / email sales@chilihost.com / icq 118860760.

cheers,
    Luke