Thread: Print Ads

DigitalJay

Print Ads

So, I am going with simple and sexy for the photo shoots for my glbt clothing catalog. If any of you read my post about it though, you know I had lots of silly ideas for situation-shoots. I still want to do them, only for advertisements in publications.

What would be the best way to find publications to advertise in, and what is the best way to research what types of results I can expect, the best price vs payoff, etc?

Does anyone strongly recommend any specific glbt publications? I would like to advertise in adult mags too, but obviously it will be a while before I could afford anything like Unzipped. What are the low end adult mags, as far as ad pricing, that would be more reasonable for a startup?

On the other hand.... You have different fingers
    Well coming from a more generalized (non-adult) marketing background, as well as what experience I've gained in the adult industry, the best advice I can give you is to find out everything you can about your buyers (or at least, who you *think* your buyers are)... age, income, interests, etc... and then read the demographics of anythign you're considering advertising in very carefully.

Most of the adult rags (somewhat understandably) generally don't have much in the way of demographics, but a lot of them these days tend to skew toward older readers since many younger readers use the Internet now for their adult needs.

And you might, later on, try some experiements with off-the-wall places to advertise, where gays are likely to read but you wouldn't think at first glance... perhaps interior decorating magazines, architecture, something like that.

Also one other thing that's really important: Compare apples with apples. A magazine with a verified circulation of 100,000 that costs $2000 to advertise in is a MUCH better deal (if demographics are the same) than a magazine with an iffy circulation of 20,000 that costs $ 750 for the same sized ad. I'd prolly go with a smaller ad in a publication with higher circulation.

Hope that helps...

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?
    Also, before jumping in with both feet consider placing ads in those bar rags you pick up at clubs. C*ybersocket for example is a great bar rag to advertise in if you are looking to attract surfers using only regular classified text ads.

Also, be sure to check out magazines and papers in your local area AND, dont forget about approaching your local college too

Regards,

Lee