Thread: Web Log Analysis Programs: Recommendations?

BoyNation

Web Log Analysis Programs: Recommendations?

We are running a Linux server with Apache and I am looking for recommendaitons that anyone can provide for log analysis/web stats programs to monitor traffic. I checked out weblogexperts dot com and liked the look of that one....especially at a cost of $75.....but wanted to get any other recommendations before we dive in.

Thanks for your thoughts!

BoyNation

JustMe
    webtrends

there's always webalizer http://www.mrunix.net/webalizer/ or awstats http://awstats.sourceforge.net/ or maybe urchin.

the first two are free, and can be configured in a number of ways to show different amounts of results. i've used 'em both and they're pretty good

Gay Marriage - It's our Pearl Harbor.
    I'll cast my vote for Urchin. It's not the most inexpensive option but its very fast and reliable. http://www.urchin.com/

I'm a farmhand on your dad's rooster ranch. haganxy's Avatar
    i use wusage and it's decent:

http://www.boutell.com/wusage/
    hagan - IT nerd
    PrideBucks.com

i dearly love wusage, but if you use it for many, many pages, i hear it uses tons of system resources while it's running.

Corey Bryant
    Are you wanting to run a program locally or on the server?

flashfreak
    I'm using awstats, it's nice

I'm a farmhand on your dad's rooster ranch. haganxy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by basschick
    i dearly love wusage, but if you use it for many, many pages, i hear it uses tons of system resources while it's running.

definitely true....extremely heavy CPU usage if you have many sites/pages
    hagan - IT nerd
    PrideBucks.com

Corey Bryant
    Well locally I use Web Log Explorer and on our servers, we use SmarterStats. Been pleased with everything so far.

I was going to install AWStats, but the control panel that I use - I was told that it did not fair all too well with it

I like webalizer the best, especially if you go into the config file and tweak it up to show you exactly what you want to see.

cheers,
    Luke

desslock
    I have used Analog for years on all my sites. It is free. It is easy to setup and use. You can customize it.

www.analog.cx

Steve

Dzinerbear
    I've been quite happy with Web Log Experts. I got it when I first got into the business because it was cheap. But it's worked well for me. AW Stats was too technical and scared me away. The others were too expensive.

Dzinerbear

BoyNation
    These are all great suggestions!

I am not sure if I want to run the analysis on the server or locally. Is there an advantage or disadvantage to either? It seems like it would be easier to run it remotely.....but your thoughts would be helpful.

Hope to meet you all in Phoenix next week!

Boy Nation

Corey Bryant
    I like to download my logs to my local computer. I also tell the clients to do that as well - we try to keep about three-six months of stats on the server.

Running something locally - if you have all our logs downloaded, you can compare from weeks, days, months, years