Thread: How Long Before A Domain Is Due To Expire Do You..

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?

How Long Before A Domain Is Due To Expire Do You..

Renew it?

Ive just been checking through one of our domain registrars and im glad i did as i saw a couple of active domains that were due for renewal in a couple of days time LOL

So that got me to thinking, how often does everyone log into their registrar and, more importantly, how long before a domain is about to expire do you re-register it?

I know we usually renew our domains about a week before they expire but a couple of times when we know we have a good solid domain name we renew it a month or two before hand.

Also, when registering new domains, do you register them for one year or multiple years? I can honestly say i dont think we have ever registered a domain for more than 1 year when we first buy it, do you?

Regards,

Lee

Teaser
    It depends on how lazy I am honest

I let my biggest domain go until the day before it expired...before renewing it...

and normally i buy 3 years at a time Depends on my mood and what im doing...Im an odd one :kitten:

blah blah blah...
    man i don't know what i would do without the "your domain is about to expire" emails i get from my registrar ($8.88/year at namecheap.com). That's THE ONLY thing i rely on to remind me, and that's usually one month before the domain expires.

And yeah, i never register a domain for more than a year the first time around...that way i have a whole year to decide what i'm going to do with it

DIXTER.COM
    Dixter.com Affiliate Program
    50/50 Rev Share Program with 5% Webmaster Referrals

On the other hand.... You have different fingers
    We use Enom, which we can set to automatically renew our domains. With most, we just do that. With ones that we might not renew, I leave the auto renewal off. It still sends reminder messages, and I try to check in at least a couple times a month.

We lost a domain some time back due to an incompetent registrar that didn't reliably send renewal notices (and refused to take any responsibility.) Since we've switched to Enom, I've had nothing but wonderful experiences.

Also, it's worth noting that *most* registrars give you a period after expiration, usually 30 days, where you can simply renew by paying the regular registration fee. Then, if you slip past that, there's the latest Verisign profit center, called "Redemption" in which Verisign gets something like $125 (and your registrar another $25 to $125) for the privilege of "redeeming" your expired domain. It's a total ripoff, and I don't know how they got away with implementing it, but I suppose it's better than paying a squatter $5000.