Thread: New Google service breeds MAJOR privacy concerns

New Google service breeds MAJOR privacy concerns

SAN FRANCISCO, California (AP) -- Online search engine leader Google Inc. has unveiled a new feature that will enable its users to zoom in on homes and businesses using satellite images, an advance that may raise privacy concerns as well as intensify the competitive pressures on its rivals.

The satellite technology, which Google began offering late Monday at http://maps.google.com/, is part of the package that the Mountain View-based company acquired when it bought digital map maker Keyhole Corp. for an undisclosed amount nearly six months ago.

This marks the first time since the deal closed that Google has offered free access to Keyhole's high-tech maps through its search engine. Users previously had to pay $29.95 to download a version of Keyhole's basic software package.

A more traditional map will continue to be the first choice served up by Google's search engine. Users will have the option of retrieving a satellite picture by clicking on a button.

The satellite maps could unnerve some people, even as the technology impresses others. That's because the Keyhole technology is designed to provide close-up perspective of specific addresses.

Keyhole's previous government ties also have raised anxieties.

Founded in 2001, Keyhole raised some money in 2003 from In-Q-Tel, a venture capital firm backed by the Central Intelligence Agency. Leading up to the Google sale, Keyhole's roughly 10,000 customers included a cross-section of government agencies. FULL STORY

So if I want to burlarize a mansion I goto maps.google.com... pull up the address and find out the best entrance to the property. Just one example of how to use this technology.

What do you guys think? Almost scary how Epic 2014 fortold this and it's happening!
    Naked Straight Men on Squirtit & StraightBro

~ In Production ~

Blindfoldmen.com
    scifimen.com

i think its pretty kewl, and its nothing that you could not get by walking up to a place anyway.

cheers,
    Luke

Have an idea and make it come to life! Gary-Alan's Avatar
    I think it's time to paint EAT SHIT on my roof! LOL
    Traffic is like your cock -
    Play with it and watch it GROW!

Xstr8guy
    Oh, thanks a lot Squirt. I spent WAY too much time farting around with the satellite maps last night, .

Top Cat
    Of course when I read the post I immediately had to find my condo on the satellite map. But it's not like I could see if my doormat was askew. I suppose this is the first-generation and someday we'll be able to see what brand of toothpaste people are using...but I'm perfectly willing to give up my privacy and civil liberties for another cool Google feature ;-)

AusCoding Allan
    Not really worried about it myself, we can already purchase aerial photographs from our local Department of Lands on their site Airview .

Cheers,

Allan

Xstr8guy
    Quote Originally Posted by dillmedia
    ...but I'm perfectly willing to give up my privacy and civil liberties for another cool Google feature ;-)
    Andy, have you seen this? Squirt mentioned it in the original post. Chilling.
    http://epic.makingithappen.co.uk/ols-master.html

On the other hand.... You have different fingers
    Okay, that's really freaky. I used to live in a gated community who's website had webcames in public areas. I often wanted to call people and tell them to go to the web address and stand there and wave at them. LOL!!!
    Don Mike
    DonMikeCali@gmail.com

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?
    Quote Originally Posted by ozmalegalleries
    Not really worried about it myself, we can already purchase aerial photographs from our local Department of Lands on their site Airview .

Cheers,

Allan
    Yep we have companies that also do that in the US to.

This technology is nothing new, the fact that Google recently purchased the technology is what the fuss is actually about IMHO

Regards,

Lee

Quote Originally Posted by Gary-Alan
    ha ha ha good idea! OR you can paint URLS for free advertising!

Quote Originally Posted by Xstr8guy
    Oh, thanks a lot Squirt. I spent WAY too much time farting around with the satellite maps last night, .
    Same here! I was on that thing all night travelling through neighborhoods I used to live in, the town I grew up in. My kid and I followed the path we used to walk to his school and the 7/11 we used to goto on the way home! totally kewl!

Quote Originally Posted by ozmalegalleries
    yeah this is for free though and easily accessed right now. Strange we can only see U.S. on this service... like we're allowing the world to track any U.S. target but we can't see the rest of the world. Odd.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee
    This technology is nothing new, the fact that Google recently purchased the technology is what the fuss is actually about IMHO
    I think the main concern is that all these companies are trying to one up eachother in making sensitive information available to others. Gmail reading your email messages and tayloring advertising. etc. Epic 2014 is right on target regarding where things are headed. It's unfortunate that few care about these small steps because the logical conclusion to following the path we're on is legally monitored movement and communication.

Has anyone here seen the documentary titled "The Corporation"? It's a documentary on this kind of thing and how corporations control consumers. It also touches on what corporations are; a group of people without personal responsibility who's only goal is to make a profit. Do you really want your life monitored & manipulated by anyone, let alone an entity that has no personal responsibility towards you and whos only goal is to make money from you?
    Naked Straight Men on Squirtit & StraightBro

~ In Production ~

Blindfoldmen.com
    scifimen.com

*LOLOLOL*

Quote Originally Posted by Gary-Alan

hey, type in 1313 harbor blvd anaheim ca in the address space, zoom all the way in, and enjoy your satellite tour of disneyland

You don't have to be straight to be in the Army; you just have to be able to shoot straight. ponyboy's Avatar
    just got down from the roof covered in red paint, put my url up there, as my mom said once couldn't hurt