Thread: Judge Sentences Spammer to 9 Years in Prison

Judge Sentences Spammer to 9 Years in Prison

LEESBURG, Va. (AP) - A man convicted in the nation's first felony case against illegal spamming was sentenced to nine years in prison Friday for bombarding Internet users with millions of junk e-mails.

FULL STORY

What do you guys think about this? Will this change the way you communicate with current and past subscribers?
    Naked Straight Men on Squirtit & StraightBro

~ In Production ~

Blindfoldmen.com
    scifimen.com

dougie_digital
    It will change how people will conduct their business.
    Like any other biz with new laws, you just have to learn what they are.

Whatever's legally safe will be what the majority gravitate towards.

In this case, spamming in Virginia is legal so long as you don't mask your identity. I'm no legal expert, but are messages to customers that signed up for your program even considered unsolicited bulk mails?

I don't like spam. I hate getting "Free PSP!" 20 times a day, but 9 years is ridiculous. I'd say a huge fine and no jail time if he was selling products or offering stuff for "free". The moment you start scamming, that's another story. But still, 9 years is too much.

Yeah I hate spam too. The last three days I've gotten 87 spam emails so far, filtered through Norton Anti Spam. A waste of time, bandwidth and money.

Sucks a slimeball like this was making $750,000 a month causing so much grief for everyone. You'd think with his abilities he'd find a less distructive way to make a buck. :high:

~ In Production ~

Blindfoldmen.com
    scifimen.com

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?
    The really fucked up thing in this case is that the guy was making $750k a month yet got a piddly fine.

Im sorry if you are making that much by spamming people each month, especially if you are ALREADY a well known spammer, you dont use forged headers or whois info.

Use your real info, if he had, he would still be $750k a month better off and not be looking at 9yrs inside.

Regards,

Lee

krusher
    It does seems a little extreme, but 750k a month is extreme also! :nerd:
    I think this guy should be punished, but he'll probably do more time than alot of murders or any other violent criminal. Where's the justice?

AusCoding Allan
    In my opinion spam costs world economies far too much - in bandwidth and wasted time. I receive on average 350 spam emails a day through my four email accounts 99% of which is caught by either the outlook spam filter or the trend micro spam filter add-on but I have to put up with all this shit being downloaded GRRRRR!

Nine Years? I'd give the guy life and make him pay each individual that received his spam five cents per message in removal costs (might get people to sit up and take notice of spam and how annoying it is).

Cheers,

Allan

Quote Originally Posted by ozmalegalleries
    In my opinion spam costs world economies far too much - in bandwidth and wasted time. I receive on average 350 spam emails a day through my four email accounts 99% of which is caught by either the outlook spam filter or the trend micro spam filter add-on but I have to put up with all this shit being downloaded GRRRRR!

Nine Years? I'd give the guy life and make him pay each individual that received his spam five cents per message in removal costs (might get people to sit up and take notice of spam and how annoying it is).

Cheers,

Allan

Jeeez I thought I was bad getting at least 50 netsky spams a day ( all caught by spam filter ) . You're right ... total time wasters, bandwidth suckers and a great way to lose productivity.

Good point Lee about his fine. I didn't notice that. The fine should be more along with prison time. Doesn't the law provide a fine for each spam sent? I could have swarn it did. Maybe it came into effect after this guys case was started?

~ In Production ~

Blindfoldmen.com
    scifimen.com

dalimili
    Oh sure.. 9 years for spamming and 5 years for shooting a human being....

Where is this world going????

I'd give him few million dollar fine and 1 year in prison and forbid him to conduct any sort of own business untill he is alive.

A few million dollars fine, 1 year in prison ( hard time ), and 10 years probation OR he could forfeit probation in exchange for working with the government part time, combating spam. I know I'm in fantasy land.

Quote Originally Posted by dalimili
    Oh sure.. 9 years for spamming and 5 years for shooting a human being....

Where is this world going????

I'd give him few million dollar fine and 1 year in prison and forbid him to conduct any sort of own business untill he is alive.

~ In Production ~

Blindfoldmen.com
    scifimen.com