Thread: Bush administration using 9/11 to track international wire transfers

Bush administration using 9/11 to track international wire transfers

WASHINGTON, April 9 - The Bush administration is developing a plan to give the government access to possibly hundreds of millions of international banking records in an effort to trace and deter terrorist financing, even as many bankers say they already feel besieged by government antiterrorism rules that they consider overly burdensome.

The initiative, as conceived by a working group within the Treasury Department, would vastly expand the government's database of financial transactions by gaining access to logs of international wire transfers into and out of American banks. Such overseas transactions were used by the Sept. 11 hijackers to wire more than $130,000, officials said, and are still believed to be vulnerable to terrorist financiers.

Government officials said in interviews that the effort, which grew out of a brief, little-noticed provision in the intelligence reform bill passed by Congress in December, would give them the tools to track leads on specific suspects and, more broadly, to analyze patterns in terrorist financing and other financial crimes. They said they were mindful of privacy concerns that such a system is likely to provoke and wanted to include safeguards to prevent misuse of what would amount to an enormous cache of financial records.

The provision authorized the Treasury Department to pursue regulations requiring financial institutions to turn over "certain cross-border electronic transmittals of funds" that may be needed in combating money laundering and terrorist financing.

FULL STORY

Notice they are going to use the information to combat money laundering as well! Those of you with overseas accounts looking for tax free income might want to think twice now. The law passed allowes them access to wires to/from U.S. accounts!

What do you think about this? Will you change your setup now?
    Naked Straight Men on Squirtit & StraightBro

~ In Production ~

Blindfoldmen.com
    scifimen.com

LOVE 4 SALE OR LEASE SEX MONTHLY! :) longboardjim's Avatar
    I Guess This Means I'll Have To Give Up My "Cuban Cigars"! :goof:

Sincerely ~ First International Bank...We Run With You!

Quote Originally Posted by longboardjim
    I Guess This Means I'll Have To Give Up My "Cuban Cigars"! :goof:

Sincerely ~ First International Bank...We Run With You!
    Ha ha ha! But still... if you have an overseas account, with funds deposited with an overseas processor, and use your overseas ATM to withdraw money, you're safe. Unless of course the government wants to start monitoring every ATM transaction in the U.S. :high:

~ In Production ~

Blindfoldmen.com
    scifimen.com

It Does Get Technical! , I'm Always Looking For Ways To Hide..Err..Invest My Money! :goof:
    I Remember A Couple Of Years Back Buying Those Gold "Ingots" Because My Thought Was , It Was Impervious To Fire , Could Be Exchanged In Most Countries , Etc...But I Somehow Forgot The Part That A Suitcase Full Of Them Was Heavy As Hell! , Not To Mention I Would Probably Be Very Popular With The "Metal-Detectors"!

Sincerely ~ ..."Plan B! , Diamonds Are A Gays Best Friend"

Quote Originally Posted by longboardjim
    It Does Get Technical! , I'm Always Looking For Ways To Hide..Err..Invest My Money! :goof:
    I Remember A Couple Of Years Back Buying Those Gold "Ingots" Because My Thought Was , It Was Impervious To Fire , Could Be Exchanged In Most Countries , Etc...But I Somehow Forgot The Part That A Suitcase Full Of Them Was Heavy As Hell! , Not To Mention I Would Probably Be Very Popular With The "Metal-Detectors"!

Sincerely ~ ..."Plan B! , Diamonds Are A Gays Best Friend"
    ... could always get a rubbermaid wheelbarrow LOL

i'm not sure i can put the wheelbarrow in the overhead compartment or under my seat and "check-in" is completely out of the question!. you know how airlines are always losing luggage , i still haven't given up on the gold , just need to figure out a way around the weight.

sincerely ~ ..."wanted: pirate ship and strong and able crew!"...

On the other hand.... You have different fingers
    Short term, you could always launder your money in CPUs.

I was told that this was one of the newest "high tech" theft risks... a thief hijacks a truck leaving Intel or AMD and packed with the latest P4 or Athlon processors, and he has tens or hundreds of millions of dollars worth of small, very light weight items worth $500-1500 each.

Quote Originally Posted by boyfunk
    Short term, you could always launder your money in CPUs.

I was told that this was one of the newest "high tech" theft risks... a thief hijacks a truck leaving Intel or AMD and packed with the latest P4 or Athlon processors, and he has tens or hundreds of millions of dollars worth of small, very light weight items worth $500-1500 each.
    That's amazing. I've never heard of that.

I have heard of using CC #'s to purchase cashiers checks online Or using CC #'s to up the balance on a prepaid CC. I'm not going into specifics here because I don't believe in fraud. It's not right.

It sucks that their aren't more safeguards by these companies to protect their losses, instead the customers and merchants have to pay such overpriced fees because of fraud.

~ In Production ~

Blindfoldmen.com
    scifimen.com

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?
    Quote Originally Posted by Squirt
    Notice they are going to use the information to combat money laundering as well! Those of you with overseas accounts looking for tax free income might want to think twice now. The law passed allowes them access to wires to/from U.S. accounts!

What do you think about this? Will you change your setup now?
    See to me, thats fine.

I see no 'real' reason why companies should go offshore unless they absolutely MUST.

I dont know, i guess its just the fact that we have nothing hide that makes me feel like that, if they want to look at our accounting or tax records, they are more than welcomed to

Regards,

Lee

Quote Originally Posted by Lee
    I see no 'real' reason why companies should go offshore unless they absolutely MUST.
    This isn't about companies, it's about the government looking at your personal bank account information, which they have no right to do, well, until now.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee
    I dont know, i guess its just the fact that we have nothing hide that makes me feel like that, if they want to look at our accounting or tax records, they are more than welcomed to
    Then maybe you should let the government install a camera in your home, in every room. Since you have nothing to hide then what would it matter?

This administration has used 9/11 to impede on our rights as private citizens. You say they are "more then welcomed to", but the point is, you don't have a choice, and the American people weren't given a choice to vote on this right being taken away.

I have nothing to hide either. I pay my taxes like most everyon else (I'm actually double taxed being a U.S. citizen living and working in Australia) Being an American citizen you expect your rights ( In this case privacy ) to be enforced and respected, not be continually eroded.

~ In Production ~

Blindfoldmen.com
    scifimen.com