Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how do you make sense of the death of a friend?

how do you make sense of the death of a friend?

one of the people i was closest to in the world died. i found out tonight. i have had friends die before, but his death has no emotional connection for me. he was barely 40, felt fine, no symptoms of anything. then one day he didn't feel well, went to the hospital, and was diagnosed as having a late stage of a particularly aggressive form of leukemia. he didn't get to go home till the doctors decided he had only a few days left. they were right.

i know that he is gone. but i feel that right now, he is cooking one of his crazy dishes in the kitchen, and chopping vegetables. or playing his piano - maybe even one of the songs we wrote together. or watching tv with his beloved dog.

he was always up to something, always having ideas. he never came out to his parents, but his younger brother knew he was gay. he was always up for a new experience, he was affectionate, and he could be quite argumentative. he was full of spiritual ideas, and he was always building new parts to his rented house. he was a great host, and so cheap that one year, i had to threaten to stop playing music at his place to get him to light the heater. he brought many wonderful people into my life, and i remember when he first met his s/o.

rob was a great friend - more like family - and my world has a hole in it where rob once existed in the lives of his friends.

why am i posting this here? because i feel i have made friends on this board, friends who i hope won't mind if i vent and let this out a little. somehow it's a little easier in writing, and easier still to know that some of you will relate. thanks for reading this...

Sitting down next to you, and just holding you close ... losing someone you loved, whether thru longterm illness or they're just suddenly gone isn't and doesn't ever get easy. I know you'll hear time will help to heal the grief, but I personally feel that the "wound" to my heart when a loved one passes merely serves as a window that lets me see them anytime I wish. Hold on to those "good time memories", it's what lets them live on inside you.

much love

thank you, bec. that was beautiful, and appreciated. words on a page can't say how much.

i have spent a good deal of this evening remembering the good times i had with rob, the bad times, the music, the arguments... SO many times with that man. so many more memories than one night or one lifetime could possibly hold...

blah blah blah...
    wow...i don't know what to say. Just that we all love you here and that we really appreciate you sharing this with us. I'm very touched and moved. I wanted to let you know that my heart is with you, and just like Bec said, think of all the good times you had with him...

DIXTER.COM
    Dixter.com Affiliate Program
    50/50 Rev Share Program with 5% Webmaster Referrals

We only just met today...but I felt like we'd known each other for a long time. I know you did too the way you just walked right up to me and said "Wow... you're not just an avatar". You made me feel like I just met a friend I'd known for a long time and just didnt' know it.

Knowing you must have been a wonderful thing to him... And I'm sure that you made him feel wonderful..just the way that you made me feel.

Life is a horrible and amazing thing. Be happy that he got to experience it, and be glad that you got to be with him when he did.

Be glad that you're still here to tell us the tale.. tell us how lucky you were to know him.

Because he was lucky to know you.
    Jasun Mark. Crass of the Titans.

LOVE 4 SALE OR LEASE SEX MONTHLY! :) longboardjim's Avatar
    deepest sympathies bass! , wishing you peace at this time!

sincerely ~ jim

Dzinerbear
    patti,
    i'm sorry
    big bear hugging you
    Michael

dalimili
    Words usually don't help, when one is in deep pain over the loss of someone close to him... It must be horrible and I can only relate to the time when my grandad passed away... It was a shock, totally unexpected and one always feels the guilt because we never do enough justice to people when they are still alive...

Crying out loud helps me a lot. Talking about it, even about those silly moments helps a lot. Grieving... it is personal thing, but on the other hand, you have to get all your emotions out, be it talking to your partner, other friends, or just US here on the board.

I always feel a bit of a comfort because of the fact that my grandad was such a big part of my life and he helped to shape me into the person I am know... so he's in my mind untill I die... I think it's same with good friends. The hole you feel will be soon filled with sticky memories of your friend... and it won't be a hole anymore, but it will go on as a part of you, that part that was left when your friend passed... all that greatness.

wow, you guys - thank you. thank you so VERY much. i read your responses, and i cried. and i came back and read them again after sitting up with my memories. reading this again was so comforting after spending a few hours remembering singing with rob...

jasun - i don't know how to explain it, but you feel like someone i would always have known...

Sana Chan
    Lossing someone you care for deeply is always hard as Bec said. Sometimes, it doesn't matter how long you've known them, but merely what kind of impact they had on you. I lost my grandfather when I was 10 years old to a massive coranary. Dead before he hit the ground type of thing. Though I was young and unknown to hard deaths, I still to this day feel his loss in my life. I was his little girl, his "sweet angel". Now he's mine and has been for a long time. Just remember, how heaven (or whatever happy afterlife you believe in) has to deal with threatening to stop playing music until he turns the heat on. He's here, though not in a way you can phyiscally sense him. But he's here. In your heart, in your mind, and now, he's in our memories as the great man you've shown us he was. :angel: :sun:

*hugs to ya*

Xstr8guy
    My thoughts are with you Patti. Take care of yourself.

twintone
    Bass.. I really feel your loss. I had a very dear friend pass the same way. It was all so sudden, and I felt so helpless. You want to do something, but can not. It was something that was very difficult for me, and I have gone through the same feelings you are having now. The memories I have of our friendship have helped me a great deal, and for the last 10 years since his passing, we have had an annual memorial, and fundraiser in his name. It helps a great deal to have something like this to look forward to, its like going home to be with a friend each year (its held in a city 350 miles away) and I look forward to it.

We raise money for the cancer foundation, and talk and remember our good friend, son, and brother. It truly is like going home to visit him each year, for we know he is there is spirit. I hope you can do something similar..

My deepest sympathy goes out to you.. take good care of those memories.

Have an idea and make it come to life! Gary-Alan's Avatar
    Patti,

Please accept my deepest sympathy.

Loosing anyone who has made an impact on your life is something that stays with you forever. As Bec said, time doesn't heal a wound to the heart. But sharing the experience of knowing him - the fun and the not so fun, with people who care about YOU can dull the pain while you get used to the space that's in your life.

Know that you are loved, here, by so many. I can only hope that you will take that love and wrap yourself up in it, to help get you through this difficult time.

My warmest regards,
    Gary-Alan
    Traffic is like your cock -
    Play with it and watch it GROW!

BoyNation
    Patti,

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. I have also had a loss in the last year and I know just how hard it can be when you really care for someone and then they are no longer there.

At the same time, just reading the responses, I think it is wonderful how close people are on this board and what a caring cyberspace community it is.

I hope to get to know you under better circumstances in the future -- but want to thank you for your post and as a result bringing this group of people closer together.

My sympathies go out to you,

BoyNation

Mamakity
    Dearest Patti,

Reading your words, I gathered a sense of the love you felt for Rob.

We are all placed in eachothers lives for a purpose. We never know when our day will come or even when our friends days will come as you have just discovered. That is the most difficult process in life but one that hold incredible power over us.

Your post has reminded me to hold close and dear those in my life whom I cherrish and love.

Everyday new people come into our life and I try to never take for granted the impact that I will have on them or what role and impact they will have in my life.

Life, love, friendships and truth are a gift we give to one another. Death is the reminder to cherrish eachother while we still have our physical bodies and to be truethful to ourselves and our loved ones. I believe Rob left knowing full well how much you loved him and treasured him.

Patti, Rob's soul has crossed over to a new chapter in his progression. Though I don't know him, I bid him peace.

This part is your process and one I thank you for sharing with us. I'm here if and when you need me.
    Peace to you Patti.