Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I wish companies would be more discreet with their company names on their checks

Marc

I wish companies would be more discreet with their company names on their checks

I just got one with a blatant name that I'm embarassed to cash.
    Its practically "Lick-a-Dong Cash"

I'm staring at it now wondering if I want to cash this.
    wtf? this really pisses me off. I'm so irritated now.

DigitalJay
    I HAD to laugh when I read that, but yeah that is incredibly dumb and I would be pretty annoyed too. It definately seems like it would make a lot more sense to register a co or llc under a more ambiguous name. You should at least email them and give them shit about their lack of tact.

hmm ... dunno which is worse, using their name and I have a clue where the check is from, or some fancy corp name and no idea who it is from!

I'm not gay; I'm British!
    Hi

I know I'd be too embarrassed to cash it in person!

Or a compromise where the check is from:

Interactive Marketing Services (or some `could be anything' nale' and the check receipt/stub that you can tear off and keep says `Your affiliate revenue from Lick a Dong Cash).

Why not `mail' the check in as a mail deposit?
    Most banks will accept it no problem, because I'm in a different country that's all I can do and they just process it like normal.

Mind you if your Aunt Betty works in the mail-deposit processing department of your bank that's something you'd be on your own with!

See ya
    Ernie

On the other hand.... You have different fingers
    We were just discussing that the other day... even cashing a check for "boysfeetclub" or "cuteboyvideos" might raise some eyebrows in the wrong part of KY or TN or NC. Our corporate name is very generic and vague for that reason... not so much because it's an issue for us, but asking employees, mainstream companies, etc. to deal with that could potentially be problematic.

As far as I know, registering a fictitious name statement isn't expensive or difficult, so there's no reason that one couldn't set up a generic company name and a bunch of DBAs for your different programs.

And you can certainly just provide a statement attached to the check, or, as was suggested, detail on the check stub, so there's no reason you need to do it the other way. But my guess is the person who opened the account just didn't think about those issues at all.

Xstr8guy
    That's why drive-through windows were invented. No eye contact makes it a lot easier to cash those Lick-a-Dong checks.

Sponsors, please refrain from using 'boy' in your company name. I don't want the feds up my ass with a microscope. Thank you!

Marc
    Quote Originally Posted by boyfunk
    We were just discussing that the other day... even cashing a check for "boysfeetclub" or "cuteboyvideos" might raise some eyebrows in the wrong part of KY or TN or NC.

Oh that's just obnoxious if a sponsor would do that. I would stop promoting them right away. They obviously haven't thought about their webmasters or don't care about them.

Not eveyone lives in NYC or LA where stuff like that is no biggie. And some of us do this part time or are known in the community and dont need the teller asking us about cuteboyvideos.

maybe their strategy is to save money with affiliates who are too embarrassed to cash their cheques? :joker:

cheers,
    Luke

LTCNick
    Quote Originally Posted by Chilihost
    maybe their strategy is to save money with affiliates who are too embarrassed to cash their cheques? :joker:

cheers,
    Luke
    I was thinking the same thing!

kev

Madame0120

Angry

I recently started getting some snail mail from a Gay Publication. I know I didn't ask to be sent a newsletter and hope my e mail to them will corrected this. It was ultra political, and they didn't even attempt to mail it with any wrapping or folding to lessen the blatent sexual tones. :nowords:

Some times I sit and have a cuppa coffee with my MailMan at the geezer table at our local Mickey D's. I'm not pleased AT All that the person who totes content CDs to my doorstep, now may wonder what kind of business I am in.

Thankfully most small town TEXANs don't mess in other ppls stuff .. but then you never know .. do you?
    All it would take to add drama to my life, is for some Sunday School Class doing the Power Driven Life Series to go looking for a project. :eek:

Along the lines of this topic - anyone know if there's a resource up somewhere that lists the programs/sponsors and what they do use on the checks that get issued??

Sitting here with some check stubs I have no clue who they are from:
    Marketing Extensions
    Innovative Ideas
    RK NetMedia
    Web Entertainment Group

i knew these:

Innovative Ideas - ars
    RK NetMedia - nastydollars
    Web Entertainment Group - WEG

it's not complete, but http://www.fu2.net/webmasters/cheques.html has a list of sponsors and the names they use on checks and other payments.

according to him, marketing extensions is platinumbucks.

Xstr8guy
    Rknetmedia is Nasty Dollars
    I think Innovative Ideas is OCcash... maybe

LOVE 4 SALE OR LEASE SEX MONTHLY! :) longboardjim's Avatar
    i must be the only one that does "night-deposits" , most the checks i recieve are usually "out of state/country" and don't "clear" immediately!

sincerely ~ ...please deposit "boytoycontent inc." to the account of "boydesire.com"... :goof:

Quote Originally Posted by basschick
    i knew these:

Innovative Ideas - ars
    RK NetMedia - nastydollars
    Web Entertainment Group - WEG

it's not complete, but http://www.fu2.net/webmasters/cheques.html has a list of sponsors and the names they use on checks and other payments.

according to him, marketing extensions is platinumbucks.
    Awesome! Thanks a big bunch! I've just been so busy with design work I hadn't had time to go login to every sponsor and figure out what sold where yet. Appreciate the info! :thumbsup: