Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: so, the new pope is the one that wrote the letter

sarahwebinc

so, the new pope is the one that wrote the letter

saying gay marriages were evil. If I was catholic I might care a bit more but still..good to know.

Scorpio
    Hi Sarah

I see nothing but bad things for us. And the sad part is that most homosexuals in our community unintentionally asked for it. So i guess we'll just have to pay the price.

Just my 2 cents.

Am I Bitter?...Absolutely Tristin's Avatar
    (Vatican City) Joseph Ratzinger one of the most conservative Cardinals in the Catholic Church was elected Pope on Tuesday.

Ratzinger was John Paul's deputy for theology as head of the powerful Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith. The Congregation was the same organization responsible for the Spanish Inquisition.

The election of the 78-year old Ratzinger is seen as a desire by cardinals to have a caretaker pope.

Cardinals had faced a choice over whether to seek an older, skilled administrator to serve in this role while the church absorbs John Paul's legacy, or a younger dynamic pastor and communicator - perhaps from Latin America or elsewhere in the developing world where the church is growing.

Cardinal Ratzinger was the author of the a 2003 Vatican directive to priests around the world calling for a proactive stand to stop governments from legalizing same-sex marriage and for a repeal of those those already on the books that give rights, including adoption, to gay couples. (story)

The 12 page document called on Catholic bishops and lawmakers to oppose the legalization of same-sex unions.

Ratzinger opposes contraception and the use of condoms to combat HIV/AIDS. He advocates a diminished role for women in the Church and has called for mandatory celibacy for priests.

"Today, the princes of the Roman Catholic Church elected as Pope a man whose record has been one of unrelenting, venomous hatred for gay people," said National Gay and Lesbian Task Force executive director Matt Foreman.

"As a long-time Catholic from a staunchly Catholic family, I know that the history of the church is full of shameful, centuries-long chapters involving vilification, persecution, and violence against others. Someday, the church will apologize to gay people as it has to others it has oppressed in the past. I very much doubt that this day will come during this Pope's reign. In fact, it seems inevitable that this Pope will cause even more pain and give his successors even more for which to seek atonement."

Chiming bells and white smoke from a chimney atop the Sistine Chapel announced Ratzinger's election. Tens of thousands of people on St. Peter's Square erupted in cheers and applause.

Ratzinger will take the name Pope Benedict XVI.

Going into the conclave he was the favorite but the speed at which he was chosen took even Vatican Radio by surprise, and it is only the third time in a century that a pope had been chosen on the second day of a conclave.

Ratzinger was born in Marktl Am Inn, Germany but his father, a policeman, frequently moved the family.

In his memoirs, Ratzinger wrote that he was enrolled in the Nazi youth movement against his will when he was 14 in 1941, when membership was compulsory. He said he was soon let out because of his studies for the priesthood.

An accomplished pianist who loves Mozart, Ratzinger is said to have enjoyed playing the piano as a seminarian.

Two years later he was drafted into a Nazi anti-aircraft unit as a helper, a common task for teenage boys too young to be soldiers. A year later he was released, only to be sent to the Austrian-Hungarian border to construct tank barriers.

He deserted the Germany army in May 1945. When he arrived home, U.S. soldiers took him prisoner and held him in a POW camp for several weeks. Upon his release, he re-entered the seminary.

Togm
    hes a strange looking dude,....

Scorpio
    LOL hopefully we won't have to see his ugly face too long.

JustMe
    Greetings:

Why on earth did they elect someone that's almost dead already?

Apparently they've decided that these little transitions of theirs get them a ton of good PR, and they want to have them more often.

isn't it something... you can be a nazi - part of a group that killed many millions of people who were their OWN citizens, not to mention citizens from around the world.

you would think that the catholic church would care more about their pr, since they seem to be so very political.

desslock
    Quote Originally Posted by JustMe
    Greetings:

Apparently they've decided that these little transitions of theirs get them a ton of good PR, and they want to have them more often.

I heard an interesting answer to this question tonight on the news. He suggested the church picked someone of that generation to essentially carry the church through a transitional period. I'm not catholic, nor an authority, but I thought that interesting. Frankly, I'm not sure why people are really surprised about the choice of pope.

I guess it is easy to place a political lens on religion. That seems to be the immediate response to anything.

I am not religious at all, and I've never read the Bible. But it seems to me that if you are Catholic, an individual like this should not be surprising. Plus most religious people I know embrace religion for guidence or to potentially better themselves. Most aren't on a mission to save unborn babies or depraved homosexuals... they just want to go to church. (naturally there are plenty of exceptions to this)

My roomate in college was a straight friend from high school - he considered himself a pretty devout catholic, and he would have sex with his girlfriend using contraceptives in our dorm room. I figure many others like him learn to overlook or reconcile old church techings with modern life.

Frankly, so many of my friends' lives have spiraled into sad stories of depression, debilitating drug and alcohol use, and other bizarre directions I can appreciate people who earnestly try to productively organize their lives to rational degrees.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by JustMe
    Greetings:

Well i was watching the BBC news and according to them it was done due to money reasons. For years the church has been bleeding money and members. Most new Catholic members come from 3rd world areas. America has very few Catholics as compaired to say Africa. But the magority of money the vadicain brings in is from US members. This presents a problem for the Church.

However when they Pope got sick and later died, money started pouring in to the church in very large amounts. as well as new members or old members coming back into the fold. Over time, this happens anytime a new Pope is picked. So it makes sense for them to have new Popes every 7 to 10 years then 30 years like JP.

Scorpio
    "As a young man, the new pope served in the Hitler Youth — compulsory for young Germans at the time — and during World War II was drafted into a German anti-aircraft unit, although he says he never fired a shot."

OOOHHHH that makes it ok then LOL

sarahwebinc
    Scorpio..I like you

I am straight, but my ass is gay jIgG's Avatar
    actually regarding hitler youth

when my father was young, and my mother too, they were required to join the Communist Party chapter and be contributing members.

They had a small book/diary and paid like .10 cents per month, and it was written in the book/diary that they've paid their dues. And if they didn't they'd be considered party traitors. The book/diary was checked in school by party afilliates and whoever had blank spaces (didn't contribute) was in trouble.

My mom never cared for the party shit, my dad - he didn't pay often times - he wore jeans to school and outside (which was a big no no) and cursed them any chance he got, lucky for him my grandfather was a member and quite influential in my city otherwise my dad would have been beating rocks for a long long time.

So .... just because he was in hitler's youth doesn't mean he shared the views - it was probably like my parents either be in and pretend or be in trouble

Ya, I don't really fault him for the whole hitler youth thing. My problem is his current views.

Scorpio
    Quote Originally Posted by sarahwebinc
    Scorpio..I like you
    hahah Sarah thank you

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men? IntenseCash.com's Avatar
    Scorpio you are the man. The more time passes the more I just want to come to Texas and give you some lovin.

Mark
    * IntenseCash.com - If you can't convert us you better look for a new job!