Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is anyone using MPEG4 yet?

curiousbunny

Is anyone using MPEG4 yet?

Xstr8guy
    I'm certainly no video expert. but aren't DivX and XviD Mpeg4 derivatives? If so, then yes they are used quite often.

Xstr8guy
    Oh Hello CB, nice to meet you I'm not real big on posting in the "welcome" threads, .

curiousbunny
    Reason I ask is ive visited some tgp post and when i click on videos to view they are all viewable. I just recently started using MPEG for testing a few days ago. I got the codec like 2 months ago but hadn't had time to try it out. I did a test and I was not able to play it until I upgraded my quicktime to the new version on their site. I also went to the microsoft site and downloaded the codec for media player. The the file extensions are .mp4 and they play after that. So since i havent seen any tgp's that are using .mp4 I beleive they are still on MPEG1.

my last computer was unable to view mpg4's without an update - same with this one. that's why i don't use them. i want the most people to be able to see our videos.

I am straight, but my ass is gay jIgG's Avatar
    divx and xivd are based on H.263 and MPEG-4 or whatever, they're MPEG-4 yes

The new MPEG-4 part 10/H.264 AVC by Apple is pretty damn good. I tested it with Nero recode and while the encoder itself is kinda crappy and doesn't give me the options I want, the quality vs size is great

H.264 will be included in the next Apple OSX and it will be some time before it makes it to windows in a Quicktime 7 form.

and Btw ......... WMV is not MPEG-4 compliant

another thing H.264 is the standart for Blue Ray and HD-DVD. DirecTV I believe will be moving to MPEG-4 soon, with the launch of their HDTV satellites

my digital cam does short videos in mpeg-4 format, I have been having a bugger of a time with those videos, I had to install quicktime....but did you know that you can't just install quicktime anymore, you have to install iTunes.

Personally I was rather pissed off with this, I **HATE** it when a program forces you to install a whole load of other shit alongside, all of which feel they are so important that they add themselves to your startup groups via the registry and remain resident in memory wasting your resources.

anyhoo...if I had those problems I figure it would piss off my surfers so I have avoided it.

cheers,
    Luke

curiousbunny
    Quote Originally Posted by Chilihost
    my digital cam does short videos in mpeg-4 format, I have been having a bugger of a time with those videos, I had to install quicktime....but did you know that you can't just install quicktime anymore, you have to install iTunes.

Personally I was rather pissed off with this, I **HATE** it when a program forces you to install a whole load of other shit alongside, all of which feel they are so important that they add themselves to your startup groups via the registry and remain resident in memory wasting your resources.

anyhoo...if I had those problems I figure it would piss off my surfers so I have avoided it.

cheers,
    Luke

SO WHAT FORMAT DO U USE LUKE, .WMV OR MPEG1?

you can install quicktime standalone

there's a link on the download page, but you have to look a little harder to find it

Curious bunny you could use either WMV or MPEG1, the latter is compatible with MAC while WMV is known to have problems with some Mac users

curiousbunny
    MPEG will play on real player, Windows MP, and Quicktime.
    WMV will not play at all in Quicktime I dont use a Mac and I dont have any experience with them I dont know if they offer a different player besides quicktime that will let them play .wmv

Xstr8guy
    I'm not an Apple guy either but I think Windows Media Player for Mac is widely used.

I try to stick to plain old mpeg1, but also use wmv when its embedded in a tour just to cut down on the size of the download by everyone and their dog. Its funny I got an email just this week from a member thanking me for using mpeg1 cuz he knew for sure that it was compatable with his mac.

I am not saying that embracing new technology is a bad idea, but just be prepared to do a lot more support and deal with more refunds/chargebacks on paysite accounts.

cheers,
    Luke

I'm very uncomfortable with the idea of vaginas. They bother me in the way that spiders bother some people. Huskyhunks's Avatar
    I really like the mp4 format. It compresses down nicely and the quality is very good. The only problem is that most people simply can't play this format as of today. I'm using a php gallery and it would not accept the mp4 files. Called it an invalid format.

Most of the time I use Imovie (mac) to convert dv to .mov files. Quicktime files are rather large with so-so quality. Not impressed with avi's at all. They take forever to convert. I really like .rm and .wmv for the best output with final cut pro.
    Artist/Painter and Webmaster of Huskyhunks.com.

curiousbunny - why decide between them? in our member area, we use mpg and wmv.