Thread: Site Review - April 28

Dzinerbear

Site Review - April 28

Hey guys,

Here's the site that we've been requested to review. Your constructive comments would be appreciated, I'm sure.

http://www.myfriendsgaylover.com/

Also, if you have a site you'd like reviewed, please PM me and I'll add you to the schedule.

dzinerbear

Overall, I found it quite refreshing as far as the design ... definately not the cookie cutter feel of so many ... with a nice "reality" long page tour style. Loved the jumping Join ... and overall colors and textures.

Good sample clips of movies and nice selection on the pic sample page. I did notice a LOT of typos ... like on the polaroids saying the pic was "addedd" on such and such date (should be added).

I'm also not a big fan of images like that using a "date" because it will quickly make a tour seem "old" and that design isn't setup to quickly allow a date change or update ... unless I'm missing something. Tours wanting to show updates should be using a table where pics can be easily swapped out and if a date is used, should just be in text format, not stamped to the design images.

I really didn't notice much text that supports the domain name. I'd like to see something "explaining" why the name is being used. Why does this site exist? Who are these guys, and why did you make a site about them? I think this is needed given that the site doesn't stay on one type of guy ... it's a mixture of niches. Is the "fantasy" that you got to tag along on some friend's sexual encounters and took the pics? ... thereby explaining the various types of men on the site?

I'd get some text tables happening where this is discussed and using some good keywords to help the SE spidering. Right now 99% of that tour is all graphics based.

Lot of commentary about "no one will know you joined a gay site" though at bottom of page in big image graphics... is that really a concern? I can see mentioning it on the join page about who the biller is ... but not really needed elsewhere in the tour in my opinion.

Everything Bec said I totally agree with.

I'd add that the categories on the left, after you click enter, need to have links to those categories. I thought the site was broken, or not complete, when I entered and couldn't click on the categories.

As was said previously.. nice refreshing design.. great flow. I'd show more preview though, for the specific areas the entry page indicates are included in the site. It's on the borderline of mimmicking those scam sites you see that don't show much on the outside and have very little on the inside. Surfers quickly learn to identify sites like that.
    Naked Straight Men on Squirtit & StraightBro

~ In Production ~

Blindfoldmen.com
    scifimen.com

Xstr8guy
    I do like the basic design of the tour. The color and layout are very nice and refreshing. Funny how 'refreshing' has come up more than once... must be the nice peachy tones.

A couple of small suggestions...

The font makes the update dates on the polaroids look like 2003 not 2005.

The cell background on the header changes color from the warning/enter page to the second page. On my monitor, the cell background on the warning page is a better color match.

A couple of major suggestions...

You need some more recent content in your splash images. Some of those guys are moldy oldies.

Define your niche more. I've never had a shred of luck selling a broad site like yours. And I can't really figure out what niche that you are pursuing by the domain name or the tour. Is it suppose to be like "the guys next door" or something. If so, then these guys need to look more amateur than they do now.

Xstr8guy
    How did this become unsticky so fast? I think Luke needs to do a careful and detailed evaluation of this site and we should get a 2000 word report.

Xstr8guy
    Luke, we are waiting for your site review!