Thread: SPAM ... what do you do about it?

Dzinerbear

SPAM ... what do you do about it?

Hey all,

It seems like the spam in my inbox has increased exponentially. I must have finally made it onto some good spam lists. What do you guys do about spam? Anything? Do you use things like Spam Arrest? Or are they not very effective.

Thanks
    dzinerbear

DELETE comes to mind LOL -- seriously though ... using a spam filter does help. Also, when I friggin remember to use this Email Encoder I find it does cut back on a great deal of the email bots from being able to grab it and use it. Just type in the information you want to happen when they hit "email" or "contact us" or whatever and the page generates a scripted code you copy and paste into your html wherever you want that particular link.

Dzinerbear
    Yeah, I just deleted 1,000 e-mails. what I'm concerned about though is deleting some legit stuff accidentally. oh well, shit happens, eh? then I guess I get someone bitching me out because I never answered their e-mail.

cheers
    dzinerbear

I used spamarrest for about a year, but the problem with that system is it sends a "reply" to all unauthorized email, and therefore identifies the email address as valid.

I finally discontinued using it, and simply use delete, delete, delete...ad nauseum.

Top Cat
    I've been using Mozilla Thunderbird wich has a built-in spam filter. It tends to err on the conservative side, meaning I still get quite a few spams but almost never get a "false positive."

There are plenty of other programs out there but they all seemed to cause problems for me. Maybe it's me.

Dzinerbear
    ah thanks ... I'm a big fan of Firefox, so now there's another reason to try Thunderbird.

dzinerbear

BoyNation
    I have been using SpamArrest now for 3 months. For the most part, I think it is very good and works well -- it does not let ANY spam through to my outlook email folders.

HOWEVER

I still find myself going through my spam alert folder daily in order to check if there are any emails that should be coming through. The program sends out a one time email to anyone who is not in my approved list and asks them to verify with a code. There are some people who do not reply to this and this is why I feel I need to go through the non-authorized folder. I just scan the titles (can usually tell just from the subject line) on a page, click the "check all" button and then delete.

I have seen some other programs out there like spam arrest, but didn't like them as the verification process required entering quite a bit of information.

Best,

BoyNation

AusCoding Allan
    I use the Trend Micro add-in for outlook along with the outlook spam filter and I only tend to get about one false positive in every couple of days.

I have about one spam email a day that gets through - and it's as simple as clicking "Report Spam" and it's gone never to be seen again.

I do a quick scan of the junk folders every day before deleting it all for good.

Allan

Words paint the real picture gaystoryman's Avatar
    Well I use Thunderbird and yes it does have a good Junk Filter on it, but I also use 'mailwasher' before hand... that way the email remains on the server and is deleted before it gets to any inbox or filter program on my hdd... rather take the few minutes to scan the mailwasher list and block than have an email arrive loaded with viruses that happen without even opening them...

Between the firewall email scan, the anti virus email scan, thunderbird, spyblaster, and mailwasher I generally feel bit safer...

my pennies worth.

Ian
    Webmasters: Add Custom Stories To Your Sites Custom Gay Stories

My Blogs Gay Talk, Free Gay Fiction, Erotic Fiction Online

AndyMN
    I hate spam... it really slows everything down

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?
    Both Gary and I use Nortons Internet Security.

I cant speak for GA but i personally love it

My spam (the stuff that acually gets throgh) has been cut from around 1000 emails a day to around 15

Regards,

Lee

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men? IntenseCash.com's Avatar
    I use safety bar by cloudmark because I used to spend hours sifting through spam. Now I might get a couple a week. Highly recommended. It is about 30.00 a year and worth every penny and then some. http://www.cloudmark.com/products/safetybar/

Mark
    * IntenseCash.com - If you can't convert us you better look for a new job!