Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need a New Monitor for Video Editing...Anything i should know?

blah blah blah...

I need a New Monitor for Video Editing...Anything i should know?

Well, i'm buying a new monitor that i'll be using for video editing and i was wondering if i should be looking for a "specific" kind of monitor.

I was going to buy a typical Samsung 17" LCD monitor. Will this do? Or should i be getting an old school CRT monitor?

Just thought i'd check in with you experts before i made this purchase.

Thanks!!

Am I Bitter?...Absolutely nicedreams's Avatar
    I would get a bigger lcd screen. At least 19. I have a 21 inch lcd screen, and I always complain that ain't big enough!

Jim

Gay Amateur Paysites / Solo Twink Paysite
    Nice Dreams Cash
    http://www.nicedreamscash.com

I am straight, but my ass is gay jIgG's Avatar
    i want LCD so bad

I've picked two 20" widescreens for me and the boyfriend but .... I'm not so fond of the quality and that some say colors don't look quite as right on an LCD.

blah blah blah...
    Quote Originally Posted by jIgG
    i want LCD so bad

I've picked two 20" widescreens for me and the boyfriend but .... I'm not so fond of the quality and that some say colors don't look quite as right on an LCD.

really? colors aren't accurate on an LCD monitor? So would you recomend a CRT monitor then?

blah blah blah...
    Quote Originally Posted by nicedreams
    I would get a bigger lcd screen. At least 19. I have a 21 inch lcd screen, and I always complain that ain't big enough!

Jim

Hey Jim. So is this a common requirement with video editing (having a larger than average monitor)? Or is this just something that you personally prefer?

basement
    I have had 17 samsung lcd monitor for past 3 years. Works fine for editing.

blah blah blah...
    Quote Originally Posted by basement
    I have had 17 samsung lcd monitor for past 3 years. Works fine for editing.

cool. yeah, i don't see why an LCD monitor wouldn't do the job. But just wanted to make sure. thanks

kcwebwerks
    I had a 19" LCD briefly, but wasn't impressed with it for the money. I went back to my old trusty dusty 21" CRT monitor. Its heavy as hell but looks great. (and in the event of a tornado it holds my desk down so I have cover.)

blah blah blah...
    Quote Originally Posted by kcwebwerks
    I had a 19" LCD briefly, but wasn't impressed with it for the money. I went back to my old trusty dusty 21" CRT monitor. Its heavy as hell but looks great. (and in the event of a tornado it holds my desk down so I have cover.)
    HAHAHA!! yeah, i know. Those CRT's are heavy!! I remember i could barely carry my old 15" without feeling like i was going to break my back.

LOVE 4 SALE OR LEASE SEX MONTHLY! :) longboardjim's Avatar
    i'm a dinosaur! , and like when "cd-music" came out it was hard for me to "convert" ( i still think records sound better! ) though in time i eventually gave in to the "dark side" ( star wars comming out may 19th at a theatre near you! ) but alas "the force" is strong with me and i still have my trusty ( extremly-heavy ) monitors!

sincerely ~ ..."may the force be with you always!"... :goof:

p.s ~ i get mixed reviews on "lcd" i'm thinking it's still "new" and their still making some "adjustments" , you know , sorta'like our goverment! :goof:

blah blah blah...
    so you guys think that an LCD monitor will work fine then?

Slade
    Quote Originally Posted by GPallan
    so you guys think that an LCD monitor will work fine then?

That's all I've used for the last year or so and would never go back to crt.
    I do a lot of video editing and it passes the test big time!

kcwebwerks
    [QUOTE=longboardjim]i'm a dinosaur! , and like when "cd-music" came out it was hard for me to "convert" ( i still think records sound better! ) though in time i eventually gave in to the "dark side" ( star wars comming out may 19th at a theatre near you! ) but alas "the force" is strong with me and i still have my trusty ( extremly-heavy ) monitors!

QUOTE]

Well at least I'm not the only one old and set in my ways. LOL I remember when cd's first came out (barely mind you!), "I'm not going to spend money on those things! They are just a fad, they won't last!"

Took me 10 years to buy my first cd player!

If you're outputting to videotape or DVD, make sure you also have a good analog video monitor to check for safe area, raster problems etc. Otherwise a good computer monitor (LCD or CRT) is fine.

blah blah blah...
    some great advice. thanks a lot guys!