Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: do you prefer picture to picture navigation?

do you prefer picture to picture navigation?

when you surf a site, do you prefer that the pictures or videos on each page have a "NEXT" and "PREVIOUS" link?

i never use those, because i've never seen a set of pics or videos SO good i wanted to see every one. also i prefer not to have pics on an html page because the page defines the size i see the pic, where otherwise my ie wll resize the really big ones that don't fit in my browser.

Words paint the real picture gaystoryman's Avatar
    I rarely if ever use the previous/next if available... for the same reasons.
    Webmasters: Add Custom Stories To Your Sites Custom Gay Stories

My Blogs Gay Talk, Free Gay Fiction, Erotic Fiction Online

blah blah blah...
    good question. I prefer to have the option to have the "next" and "back" button so that they're there if i chose to use them. But i usually just hit back on the browser and go to the gallery index and click on another thumb that catches my eye. Just like you, i don't think there are that many good photo sets out there that would want me to look at every pic in the set.

and i HATE pop-up images! You know, the ones where there's an image gallery with the galley index with all the thumbs, but when you click on a thumbs you get a pop-up with the iamge. I don't know what it is, but i guess it's the fact that with pop-ups, all the stuff in the background distracts me from the actual image. I prefer to have the image open up in the same page so that i could press back on the browser to go back to the index.

So i think that the image page should include things like "next" "previous" "gallery home" "main member's area" etc. Just so if you do chose to press "next" a hundred times (considering that the phot set is very hot), you don't have to press back another 100 times to get back to where you were. You can just press "home" or whatever.

Allan

On the other hand.... You have different fingers
    I have to agree with GPallan. If I'm looking for a specific thing then going through the gallery might work well. Let's just say you like a particular type of chest, muscular, not too hairy. Going through a gallery, you are going to look for pics that really show off the chest. However, once you find the one you really like, who wants to hit prev or backspace 50 times to get back to the main gallery.

Case in point... Tribe.net. The photo galleries are member driven, so they are not the focal point of the site, but once you are in you have to either page through the images or go back to the main menu. If you simply want to go back to the gallery you have to exit and go back to the main menu completely and then go back to the gallery, or backspace a bunch of times. I hate it.

I think surfers like options.
    Don Mike
    DonMikeCali@gmail.com

kcwebwerks
    I agree with Basschick. Its been rare that I have seen a gallery of pictures (even a series) that I wanted to see each and every picture. I like to see the thumbnail page and pick what I want to see enlarged (no pun intended).

Plus by doing this, its easier to back out of the gallery and go to the next one by hitting the back button on my browser.

Quote Originally Posted by kcwebwerks
    I like to see the thumbnail page and pick what I want to see enlarged (no pun intended).

zewkin
    It can work to your advantage to have a next link on your pictures and also include a link elsewhere that you want to send traffic - to a sponsor or page of links, something like that. By the time the surfer gets 10 pics in they may not want to hit the back button ten times and would more than likey click through to the sponsor or other site you have a link to and if they are horny enough, possibly nabbing you a sale! It's a technique I like to use when building an AEN tour, enticing the surfer to click the next links and finally landing on the join page.

zewkin - i'm not talking about sales techniques here . i'm talking about premium avs and paysites only - no feeder sites.

when you are looking at pics for yourself, would you rather see those pics on a page or open without a page?

I like to see them on a page with forward and back - and back OUT (up arrow?) to the gallery thumbnails as well as links to take me to the Main pic gallery index, home, etc either right on that gallery page, or brought in as a header include for the gallery maker program.

Makes me nuts to back browser 20 times because I can't get back out to the thumbnail page once I click on a pic.

Xstr8guy
    On feeder sites, I give the surfer no navigation except 'home' to the members index page (that way they get to look at the best banner everytime they return) and 'click the picture to go back' to the gallery. And I always have pics on html pages because (unlike basschick) I hate the way IE resizes images. I don't want the surfers to think I'm giving them jaggy looking images to wank off to.

On Platinum/Premium sites I give the members deluxe navigation on all pages. On pic pages, I usually put the navigation buttons on the top so they don't need to scroll down the pic to go to the next image. And they always have the option to go home (members index page), back to the current gallery page and next or previous pic. I've never found a use for skip to first and last pic. And I never give them them the slideshow option.

okay, i'll bite - what program do you use to make these pages etc. arles? or is there something better - and maybe more intuitive for those of us who use thumbsplus and photoshop.

Dzinerbear
    Like zewkin, I look at pic to pic navigation as a good marketing tool. Every 10-20 images the surfer gets presented with a new thumbnail page with the next 10-20 thumbs and another couple of sponsor banners.

I didn't use a program to create them, I just sat down and created 100 html pages and did it manually. Now, it's done once and I just paste the pages I need into my new galleries.

dzinerbear

Scorpio
    Personally, when i visit a members area... i like to have all the thumbs in one page, and when i click on one thumb, i get a popup window with the big picture. It's easier for me.

Xstr8guy
    Quote Originally Posted by basschick
    okay, i'll bite - what program do you use to make these pages etc. arles? or is there something better - and maybe more intuitive for those of us who use thumbsplus and photoshop.
    Yes, I'm an Arles freak... love it!

Scorpio
    Quote Originally Posted by basschick
    I use Express Thumbnail Creator.. i love it.