Thread: System Startup Hogs

System Startup Hogs

Wanting to get more gusto from all that expensive ram in your machine? Not sure what you can safely disable in the systray? Here's a couple links that can help you identify and safely neutralize all those programs that think they need to load on startup and be running in the background all the time.

Startup Content

Startup List This one particular was an eye opener for identifying files dropped onto your computer by viruses and spyware.

AusCoding Allan
    Thanks Bec,

Have been meaning to check out a list like that for a while.

Cheers,

Allan

On the other hand.... You have different fingers
    Thanks Bec, what a usefull link.
    Don Mike
    DonMikeCali@gmail.com

BDBionic
    I'm such a geek. I've had a hardcopy printout of that sysinfo.org list here at my desk for awhile now. And reference it all the time.

Another nifty lil tool to have is prcview . Let's ya see everything that's running on your computer at any given time. More comprehensive and complete than the windows task manager. Will show ya things that windows task manager doesn't. And let ya kill off any processes you don't want or need.

dougie_digital
    Thanks so much for the links.

I often end up googling everything... this looks better.

And it's such a pain in the ass when you're not sure what should go :cry: ... laptops claim to have "necessary" tools that keep your system running smoothly. I'm tempted to wipe out the entire startup list sometimes

Here's another site I found very useful in picking out those rogue programs left behind from a spyware attack. This helps me to shut off stuff I don't need while avoiding problems from shutting off programs I might need.

http://www.what-process.com/
    Don Mike
    DonMikeCali@gmail.com

curiousbunny
    Thanks Bec !
    I went into my msconfig and changed some of my startup stuff 2 not load at startup hehehe.

BoyNation
    Bec...you are a lifesaver!

I have been trying to find a solution to exactly that problem for a long time!

My computer has been running slower than usual and I just ordered more ram to try and speed it up. But I'm sure that by tackling some of the items on those lists, that it will speed up considerably.

I also have some other advise for the board.

In terms of spyware programs, I have been using spyware stormer for a little while and it has been doing a fairly good job. But I recently downloaded the new Microsoft Spyware program (free) and it found tons of things that my Spyware Stormer did not. I now use both of them (as there are still a few things from time to time that Spyware Stormer finds and Microsoft does not).

Best,

BoyNation

Quote Originally Posted by BoyNation

I now use both of them (as there are still a few things from time to time that Spyware Stormer finds and Microsoft does not).
    I agree with this. I run Adaware and Spybot. You should never stick with just one. I have something on my system now that I can't seem to get rid of. I'm supposed to run the computer in safe mode and delete it, but I'm just not that tech minded. Hell, I don't even know how to run it in safe mode. Oh well, gonna keep working on it.
    Don Mike
    DonMikeCali@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by WWC-DonMike
    I agree with this. I run Adaware and Spybot. You should never stick with just one. I have something on my system now that I can't seem to get rid of. I'm supposed to run the computer in safe mode and delete it, but I'm just not that tech minded. Hell, I don't even know how to run it in safe mode. Oh well, gonna keep working on it.
    For most systems - holding down the F8 key while your system boots up (you just have to hold it down while it starts the post), should get you into safe mode. I've found a few machines that required holding down the F5 though instead.

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?
    Damn i cant beleive how much crap i had running :eek:

I think its time to do some more clearing up of this laptop

Regards,

Lee