Thread: Fear of Purchasing on the Internet

ScottMN

Fear of Purchasing on the Internet

it occured to me the other day that people are still fairly afraid of buying memberships, products or whatever on the internet. what do you do to make people feel safer buying from your site?

dalimili
    well... i guess there's not much to do, but the obvious:

1. make your site look clean and trustworthy (never ever ever play with pop-ups as this makes people think their credit card will end up with some russian underground webmaster scene)

2. make site look good and professional

3. add different sorts of "TRUSTWORTHY" banners on your Join/Buy pages

4. Put your contact info/customer email on the same page - that way it looks like if something goes wrong, there is actually a way to contact the owner (not everyone does it)

That's about all what I know...

Dzinerbear
    Yes, I agree. Make your site look as professional as you can.

Don't over promise and under deliver.

Don't do stupid shit like say we update weekly only to have the last update date as January 19, 2005.

I think if your site is littered with a lot of questionable stuff like get-rich-quick stuff, how to make a million dollars, how to grow a monster cock, etc you may scare some people away.

Put a statement on your page that you never sell or divulge anyone's e-mail or personal information.

Stating that the transaction is 100% secure is probably also helpful.

I wouldn't go overboard on the secure thing. I think if you said it too many times you might make people say, "Why is he emphasizing this so much?"

Cheers
    dzinerbear

point out to them that the actual transaction will happen on a secure server with very secure encription.

let people know the name your processor will be billing the under. most people would rather see Paycom or CCBill on their monthly statements than Black Cocks Fucking Gay Asses this is also a good idea because less people will call their bank saying "who the hell is paycom?"

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?
    Basschick brings up a good point about the biller name.

I couldnt imagine having a wife go through a credit card statement only to find something like 'huge cocks anonymous' showing up as the biller, even though in reality that isnt going to be the name on the CC statement it has to play a role in the surfers mind.

Regards,

Lee

as a compnay that not only has a website but sells a line of DVDs, we've had people call and ask beforehand what it says on their credit card statements, what the packaging will look like on the outside, and if we put them on a gay mailing list.

one guy wanted to pay for his membership with a money order.

the more you make yourselves available to talk to your customers and adress their concerns, the more comfortable they feel.

I reallydo think that our 800 number has made people feel like they're not dealing with shady people.
    Jasun Mark. Crass of the Titans.

ScottMN
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasun
    as a compnay that not only has a website but sells a line of DVDs, we've had people call and ask beforehand what it says on their credit card statements, what the packaging will look like on the outside, and if we put them on a gay mailing list.

one guy wanted to pay for his membership with a money order.

the more you make yourselves available to talk to your customers and adress their concerns, the more comfortable they feel.

I reallydo think that our 800 number has made people feel like they're not dealing with shady people.
    it seems 1-800 number and a tame biller name are keys here