Thread: Getting added to people's mailing lists

I am straight, but my ass is gay jIgG's Avatar

Getting added to people's mailing lists

Is it just me or is it annoying to get emails from people you've never contacted and find out you're on their mailing list?

I just found out my billyslinks.com email is in Radvideo.com's mailing list and I that's the only time apparently radvideo's domain exists in my email archive since like 2002.

Then there's straight sponsor spamming me with how great their programs are. And some VOD gay provider too how we should have them on

Are people that desperate for webmasters? It didn't used to be that way untill recently I think

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?
    Quote Originally Posted by jIgG
    Is it just me or is it annoying to get emails from people you've never contacted and find out you're on their mailing list?

I just found out my billyslinks.com email is in Radvideo.com's mailing list and I that's the only time apparently radvideo's domain exists in my email archive since like 2002.

Then there's straight sponsor spamming me with how great their programs are. And some VOD gay provider too how we should have them on

Are people that desperate for webmasters? It didn't used to be that way untill recently I think
    You'll probably find those people have purchased an 'opt-in' list from someone in the industry.

What they forgot to mention is the person who sold the list 'opted' you in without your knowledge

You might want to take note of who those sponsors that are mailing you do business with btw, you may find it enlightening and, you can probably track down where your email address came from originally too

We're constantly asked if we will sell our email database of GWW members by various people often citing that 'other companies' in the gay market have no problems doing it so why shouldnt we when we tell them its not for sale LOL

Regards,

Lee

robin
    Yes -- it's fucking annoying!

Yes they are. I highly doubt though that it didn't used to be that way. At least in mainstream it's always been that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee
    You'll probably find those people have purchased an 'opt-in' list from someone in the industry.
    That burns my biscuit even more! :bomb:

Glad you're not doing that Lee.

Having said all that -- I don't mind a legit company that has relevance to my site, telling me about theirselves and what they can offer. However, if I end up being on their perm. spam list, and better yet then sold off to another company. Well that's the limit and I start getting pissed.

Hmmm ok that's my rant of the day.

BDBionic
    I'm usually ok with one informative e-mail. But beyond that it gets annoying if I don't followup with an expression of interest.

What annoys me is when ya give out business cards at a show and end up on peoples mailing lists that way. I remember the first show I went to, I left my business cards sitting on the table at our booth. Boy was that a mistake. There are people who just cruise the show floor snaggin' cards to get the e-mail addies and stick people on their mailing lists. Now I run a full background check and polygraph on anyone I hand my card to at a show

jIgG - that's been happening to us since 1996 :wtf:

I am straight, but my ass is gay jIgG's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by basschick
    jIgG - that's been happening to us since 1996 :wtf:

then people mustn't have loved me as much before or something :cry:

yeah - i guess i'm just lucky enough to be known and loved by spammers all over the world...

then people mustn't have loved me as much before or something :cry: