Thread: Why a good host is so important.

Dzinerbear

Why a good host is so important.

Google recently filed for a patent on their algorithm, which means a large part of the components of it have become public.

You can find the document here:
    http://www.wwwcoder.com/main/Desktop...t&article=5033

But a particular part that's important to me is this:

"Google’s patent references specific types of ‘information relating to how a document is hosted within a computer network’ that can directly influence the ranking of a specific web site.
    This is Google's way of determining the legitimacy of your domain name.

Therefore, the credibility of your host has never been more important to ranking well in Google’s SERP’s.

Google states they may check the information of a name server in multiple ways.

Bad name servers might host known spam sites, adult and/or doorway domains. If you’re hosted on a known bad name server your rankings will undoubtedly suffer… if you’re not blacklisted entirely.

What I found particularly interesting is the criteria that Google may consider in determining the value of a domain or identifying it as a spam domain; According to their patent, Google may now record the following information:
    • The length of the domain registration… is it greater than one year or less than one year?
    • The address of the web site owner. Possibly for returning higher relevancy local search results and attaching accountability to the domain.
    • The admin and the technical contact info. This info is often changed several times or completely falsified on spam domains; again this check is for consistency!
    • The stability of your host and their IP range… is your IP range associated with spam?
    • Securing a reputable host can and will go a long way in promoting your web site to Google.
    Google’s rationale for domain registration is based on the premise that valuable domains are often secured many years in advance while domains used for spam are rarely secured for more than a year.

If in doubt about a host’s integrity I recommend checking their mail server at http://www.dnsstuff.com/ to see if they’re in the spam database. Watch for red flags!"

So we ought to be careful when we choose a host especially when we're being lured by cheap web hosting. All of your SEO efforts could be out the window if you've got a host that is less than reputable or just doesn't care about your long-term survivability.

Cheers
    dzinerbear

Xstr8guy
    Great info dzinerbear. Maybe that's why my Oxeo and Candid (now Powermedium) hosted domains don't do as well with google as my Chilihost domains.

twintone
    Quote Originally Posted by Dzinerbear
    Google recently filed for a patent on their algorithm, which means a large part of the components of it have become public.

You can find the document here:
    http://www.wwwcoder.com/main/Desktop...t&article=5033

But a particular part that's important to me is this:

"Google’s patent references specific types of ‘information relating to how a document is hosted within a computer network’ that can directly influence the ranking of a specific web site.
    This is Google's way of determining the legitimacy of your domain name.

Therefore, the credibility of your host has never been more important to ranking well in Google’s SERP’s.

Google states they may check the information of a name server in multiple ways.

Bad name servers might host known spam sites, adult and/or doorway domains. If you’re hosted on a known bad name server your rankings will undoubtedly suffer… if you’re not blacklisted entirely.

What I found particularly interesting is the criteria that Google may consider in determining the value of a domain or identifying it as a spam domain; According to their patent, Google may now record the following information:
    • The length of the domain registration… is it greater than one year or less than one year?
    • The address of the web site owner. Possibly for returning higher relevancy local search results and attaching accountability to the domain.
    • The admin and the technical contact info. This info is often changed several times or completely falsified on spam domains; again this check is for consistency!
    • The stability of your host and their IP range… is your IP range associated with spam?
    • Securing a reputable host can and will go a long way in promoting your web site to Google.
    Google’s rationale for domain registration is based on the premise that valuable domains are often secured many years in advance while domains used for spam are rarely secured for more than a year.

If in doubt about a host’s integrity I recommend checking their mail server at http://www.dnsstuff.com/ to see if they’re in the spam database. Watch for red flags!"

So we ought to be careful when we choose a host especially when we're being lured by cheap web hosting. All of your SEO efforts could be out the window if you've got a host that is less than reputable or just doesn't care about your long-term survivability.

Cheers
    dzinerbear

Great post! There are so many things people are unaware of when choosing a host.. its great that you bring this out into the light.

One note. You posted a tool where people can check a web host for how many RBL's they are listed under, and this is a good idea. But please keep in mind that you can send email from any IP, so by just looking up a hosts mail server probably isn't going to tell you much. I did a check on one host I know is VERY spammer friendly, and they are listed on 100's of RBL's.. but if I just run a check on their mail server, it lists one. So, people will surely need to dig a little deeper to find out the real truth.

BoyNation
    I am now concerned. Xstr8guy mentioned Powermedium and this is the host that we use for AsianBoyNation. I can't find their IP address, but do we know for sure that Powermedium is a problem host? I would be remis to change them (as I have a good deal and they have been very helpful with customer support) but if my hosting with them is going to hurt me with google ---- asta la vista baby!

Xstr8guy....since we share the same host....can you let me know? Perhaps anyone else can chime in if they have a good host, good pricing that is not on a google bad list.

Thanks!

BoyNation

Xstr8guy
    Sorry BoyNation, I didn't mean to alarm anyone. I was just thinking out loud. Infact, I have ZERO problems with PowerMedium. When they were Candid Hosting they sucked but now they seem to have their shit together.

baddog
    Good post, and another reason why people should check out GotWebHost

Not only do we offer multiple IPs on multiple Class C subnets, but you can also use private nameservers.