Thread: Lawmaker Behind Texas Gay Foster Parent Bill Says God Made Him Do It

Lawmaker Behind Texas Gay Foster Parent Bill Says God Made Him Do It

(Austin, Texas) May 14, 2005

The Texas lawmaker behind a bill that would ban gays and lesbians from being foster parents in the state says he was called on by God.

The measure has passed the House and is awaiting a vote in the Senate.

Rep. Robert Talton (R-Pasadena) made his assertion in a letter he gave to state Sen. Jane Nelson (R-Lewisville) after she criticized the legislation

The Dallas Morning News obtained details of the letter from two other legislators. Neither Talton nor Nelson would discuss its contents with the paper.

One of the legislators, Sen. Jon Lindsay (R-Houston), told the News that he was shown the two-page letter. According to Lindsay Talton spoke of a religious mission to hold conservatives, including Nelson, accountable. Talton also cited several Bible passages to support his opposition to homosexuality, Lindsay said.

The second lawmaker, who spoke to the paper only on the condition of anonymity confirmed the contents of the letter.

Talton refused an interview with the Morning News and has resisted an open records request by the paper for the letter. An attorney for Talton said that the lawmaker believes he should not have to disclose the letter.

But, an attorney for The News said the Public Information Act allows no exception to its disclosure requirements for such letters.

Talton has been working to ban gay foster parents for the past two years.

"I don't think it is right for young children to be exposed to this type of behavior when they are young and innocent," Talton said during debate on the legislation last month. (story)

"It is our responsibility to make sure that we protect our most vulnerable children and I don't think we are doing that if we allow a foster parent that is homosexual or bisexual."

The amendment requires the Texas Department of Child Protective Services add a question to its forms for prospective foster parents inquiring whether the person is gay.

If the person answered yes they would be automatically disqualified.

The legislation also requires the state to remove foster children already placed in the homes of gays or lesbians. (SOURCE)

How crazy is this? Isn't this the same thing serial killers say.. "God made me do it."? How pathetic.. what do you think?
    Naked Straight Men on Squirtit & StraightBro

~ In Production ~

Blindfoldmen.com
    scifimen.com

i think that the constitution of the united states guarantees separation of church and state - or did i miss a meeting?

besides, anyone can interpret the bible to fit their needs - i would think for safety's sake, it's best to stick with what it actually says in words without torturous interpretation.

i worry about a large group of people listening to a guy who hears voices. it could be god, but if he was plain joe blow, he'd probably be under observation...

Quote Originally Posted by basschick
    i think that the constitution of the united states guarantees separation of church and state - or did i miss a meeting?

besides, anyone can interpret the bible to fit their needs - i would think for safety's sake, it's best to stick with what it actually says in words without torturous interpretation.

i worry about a large group of people listening to a guy who hears voices. it could be god, but if he was plain joe blow, he'd probably be under observation...

You're right about the church and state.

Regarding various interpretations of the bible a great site to visit is The Skeptics Annotated Bible It lists contradictions, conflicts with known science, mentions of sex and homosexuality etc. etc. Really good stuff if you have to counter some preacher who thinks he's the will of God, as I had to do recently.

Being a former foster child the part of his bill I find most disturbing is removing children who are currenlty placed in same sex foster homes. It's so hard to get placed in a foster home while living in an orphanage or "group home". It's a true shame if this bill passes.
    Naked Straight Men on Squirtit & StraightBro

~ In Production ~

Blindfoldmen.com
    scifimen.com