I won't reprint the entire tutorial but the topics below will show you what menthods Michael Irwin will teach you to implement in his Protecting Images Using PHP and htaccess article.

Image protection on the internet can be quite tough. With view source, and tools like Firebug, it takes a combination of tactics. In this article, we'll go over a few techniques that can be used.

Sources to check

In this article, we're going to tackle a few different tactics to safeguard images. But, let's first think about what ways people can get images.

* Direct path - if a user knows the path to an image, they can simply go straight to it, and download the image.
* Drag and drop - in most browsers today, you can simply drag and drop an image right onto your desktop.
* Hotlinking - another website can link directly to your image
* Screenshot - a visitor can simply take a screenshot of your page and crop the image.

How to fix them

So, now that we've established where our problems are, how can we fix them?

* Direct path - we're going to create a PHP script to "hide" the direct path.
* Drag and drop - we're going to implement something that Flickr does... placing a 1x1 transparent GIF on top of the image.
* Hotlinking - using .htaccess, we can prevent hotlinking from occurring
* Screenshot - not much you can do here. The best recommendation I have is to add a watermark to your image (not covered in this tutorial)

Read the rest of the Tutorial

I thought that transparent gif method was a great tip!