Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Derogatory use of the word "gay"

CorbinFisher.com CorbinFisher_BD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasun
    Great.

You go say "******" in Compton and then tell them that it's just "The modern day vernacular". I'm sure they're going to agree.

Why is it that the gay community.. er.. some of them anyway.. are willing to take being hit with words and defend the people who use them?

I never let anyone get away with that shit around me. Even if they use it in a joking way.. I'll let them know.

I'm not overly agressive.. when someone says "That's so gay" or "You cock sucker", I generally say something back like "You say that like it's a bad thing".

they get the point. I hope you do too.

I'm not sure how your ****** example applies here. In fact, I'd say it doesn't.

Within modern vernacular, "******" is an extremely offensive word. In fact, probably the most offensive word in the English language. There's no doubt it is offensive. And so even its role within modern vernacular doesn't allow for me to go around using it against anyone.

I do think "******" is an interesting word, though. And I'm glad you brought it up. Whenever there's a discussion on offensive words and phrases someone always pulls out the "****** card" to try and make a point. Just like someone always plays the "hitler/nazi" card when discussing politics or social policy.

"******" didn't really become an offensive word until this last century. Although it wasn't quite appropriate for social conversation, its understood meanings even allowed for it to appear in Mark Twain's Huckleberry Finn without anyone, at the time, thinking much of it or thinking of it as all too offensive.

In the 17th century anti-slavery organizations would use the word "******" in their literature as just a standard word to apply to black Africans. It wasn't an insult.

But it has since become one, evolving in to one of the least pleasant words in the English language and one over which people get more defensive and to which they're more sensitive than just about any other. Thus why you used it as an example here, although your example didn't really apply too well.

Regardless, modern vernacular. The meaning and usage of the word "******" has changed over time. Just as "That's so gay!" will. Just as "fag" has and "queer" has and will.

"Queer" was eagerly adopted by men in the early 20th century who wanted to differentiate themselves from effeminite and showy homosexual men who were called "fairies" and "queens". So even the origins of "queer" with relation to gay men was kind of a "self-hating" thing, if you wanna call it that. And then it became an insult directed at all gay men. And then it became a word the entire gay community embraced as almost a mark of pride. Again, the evolution of language and vernacular.

I ask again... does anything think when someone says "pardon my French" of how that phrase originated from the perception that the French were vulgar and obscene and thus their affiliation with the swear word just spoken?

When you go "dutch treat" on a date does anyone think of how the English viewed the Dutch as cheap and stingy and that's where that phrase comes from?

When you hear of someone welshing on a bet do you think of how the perception of the welsh was that they'd run up huge gambling debts - especially at dog and horse tracks - and not repay them?

Because those are the origins of those phrases, but no one really ties the group at the root of those phrases to their meaning today. The phrases themselves have taken on a meaning of their own independent of the group offense was directed towards when they were first created and became a part of the vernacular.

Again, you're entitled to feel offended and more than welcome to it. But quite frankly I have better things to do with my day than sit around finding reason to take offense at what other people do. And when a young person says something like "that's so gay" and I don't see in their statement any intent to hurt me or even an understanding on their part of where and how that phrase originated and what's implied through it, I could really care less.

CorbinFisher's Amateur College Men

LOVE 4 SALE OR LEASE SEX MONTHLY! :) longboardjim's Avatar
    i acutally use the phrase "that is so gay" in reference to what the gay community is typographicaly identified as but then i'm gay so i don't see the harm at poking fun at myself.
    i also use the term "that is so hetero" ( usually when i'm straight establishment with a moosehead over the bar draped in bra's and panties ) of course i'm usually speaking with gay friends.

sincerely ~ ..."there are worse things i could do" - grease

There's obviously difrferent ways to use the term "that's so gay".

When we're talking about Capri Pants, Malibu Ken or Madonna records, yes.. it's ok to use the term.. you're saying "That's so homosexual".

If you're meaning "that's so lame, weak or bad", well.. I don't let that get past me.
    Jasun Mark. Crass of the Titans.

Paco
    I consider words to be very powerful tools, so I am not the type that simply shrugs them off (unless it is some idiot spewing at the gums, whom I merely look down at, with pity) - many people chose their words carefully and use specific ones for a reason.

Certain types of people evaluate words used by another (friends, enemies, family etc) and take them in a literal fashion or 'hang on every word'. Some people chose their words as they would a weapon (severity of damage).
    Now what makes them different from using your fists (aside from the visible marks)?
    Are mental wounds not more detrimental or damaging than physical ones?

So to me, a person using the word gay (whether or not) is no different from them using the word fag, ******, homo, girlie/femme/like a girl, Jew, Indian, commi, wop etc.
    All are an unnecessary classifications and abusive words, which are stereotypical.

One question: when one says that's so gay, what do they mean?

To me, gay means licentious, happy and sometimes refers to relations between two-people of the same sex.

Quote Originally Posted by Jasun
    There's obviously difrferent ways to use the term "that's so gay".

When we're talking about Capri Pants, Malibu Ken or Madonna records, yes.. it's ok to use the term.. you're saying "That's so homosexual".

If you're meaning "that's so lame, weak or bad", well.. I don't let that get past me.

I think there's nothing wrong with pointing that out to someone when they use it. In fact it's probably a good thing to do that when in the company of someone who uses the phrase and isn't aware of how it could be received and cause hurt.

"Hey, just so ya know, that saying has real potential to offend. I'd appreciate your not using it around me" or something along those lines. Whatever the situation dictates.

But I think in that a person can afford to be made aware of that and have it pointed out to them is also the evidence that they weren't conciously aware of its potentially offensive nature when using it. The intent to hurt wasn't there and spite wasn't intended through their use of it.

And that's where the discussion of vernacular comes in. How is it this term has become commonplace, and where does it go from there? And I think that denying the role of popular culture in the development of vernacular and denying the existence of contemporary vernacular in the first place doesn't do anyone any good.

That's why I don't get offended when I hear someone use it. I recognize it as a saying that can offend. But I personally do not get offended unless I see true intent to offend and be hurtful on the part of the user.

I am straight, but my ass is gay jIgG's Avatar
    lets not forget some of these people call women in adult bitches and whores who are nothing more than a piece of ass willing to work for little money to satisfy someone's dick.

...since my first hard-on. A_DeAngelo's Avatar

Is God Gay?

If God is "good" and "Gay" is good than God must be Gay!

I don't know but, the use of the word sprung up long ago to move us all in a more positive direction and away from words like queer and fag, etc...

Words and their uses change more quickly now due to our media, right?

Well what about looking back 20+ some years ago when Tom Wadell tried to use the word "GAY" as part of his vision for the "Gay Olympics"?!?! Now known as the Gay, etc. Games. I was part of this mess and do not look upon the circumstances with any degree of respect for our legal system.

Wadell was shot down and sued by the International Olympic Committee for Trade Mark infringement or something. He was standing up for our rights as gays to use the word prominently and proudly in connection with a "big time" internationally recognized event.

The US Supreme Court ruled against Tom and Dr. Wadell lost everything fighting for the right to use this word. The argument was that there are Police Olympics, Special Olympics, McDonald's ... Olympics, Dog Olympics, etc. but there can never be a "Gay Olympics" because "Gay" is not good or something to that effect.

So have we come anywhere in the past 20 years?

Do we perpetuate this by openly using over-the-top-gay characters in popular tv shows? By not using macho role models as modern day Gays, or by not using gay couple role models as good home environments for adopted children?

Once again, I have probably stuck my neck way out however, I don't see any difference in what's happening today, yesterday or 20 years ago...

Thanks Ronald Reagan for labeling AIDS as the "Gay Disease"

If homosexuality is a disease, let's all call in queer to work. procam's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CorbinFisher_BD
    I'm not sure how your ****** example applies here. In fact, I'd say it doesn't.

Within modern vernacular, "******" is an extremely offensive word. In fact, probably the most offensive word in the English language. There's no doubt it is offensive. And so even its role within modern vernacular doesn't allow for me to go around using it against anyone.

I do think "******" is an interesting word, though. And I'm glad you brought it up. Whenever there's a discussion on offensive words and phrases someone always pulls out the "****** card" to try and make a point. Just like someone always plays the "hitler/nazi" card when discussing politics or social policy.

"******" didn't really become an offensive word until this last century. Although it wasn't quite appropriate for social conversation, its understood meanings even allowed for it to appear in Mark Twain's Huckleberry Finn without anyone, at the time, thinking much of it or thinking of it as all too offensive.

In the 17th century anti-slavery organizations would use the word "******" in their literature as just a standard word to apply to black Africans. It wasn't an insult.

But it has since become one, evolving in to one of the least pleasant words in the English language and one over which people get more defensive and to which they're more sensitive than just about any other. Thus why you used it as an example here, although your example didn't really apply too well.

Regardless, modern vernacular. The meaning and usage of the word "******" has changed over time. Just as "That's so gay!" will. Just as "fag" has and "queer" has and will.

"Queer" was eagerly adopted by men in the early 20th century who wanted to differentiate themselves from effeminite and showy homosexual men who were called "fairies" and "queens". So even the origins of "queer" with relation to gay men was kind of a "self-hating" thing, if you wanna call it that. And then it became an insult directed at all gay men. And then it became a word the entire gay community embraced as almost a mark of pride. Again, the evolution of language and vernacular.

I ask again... does anything think when someone says "pardon my French" of how that phrase originated from the perception that the French were vulgar and obscene and thus their affiliation with the swear word just spoken?

When you go "dutch treat" on a date does anyone think of how the English viewed the Dutch as cheap and stingy and that's where that phrase comes from?

When you hear of someone welshing on a bet do you think of how the perception of the welsh was that they'd run up huge gambling debts - especially at dog and horse tracks - and not repay them?

Because those are the origins of those phrases, but no one really ties the group at the root of those phrases to their meaning today. The phrases themselves have taken on a meaning of their own independent of the group offense was directed towards when they were first created and became a part of the vernacular.

Again, you're entitled to feel offended and more than welcome to it. But quite frankly I have better things to do with my day than sit around finding reason to take offense at what other people do. And when a young person says something like "that's so gay" and I don't see in their statement any intent to hurt me or even an understanding on their part of where and how that phrase originated and what's implied through it, I could really care less.
    You are so wrong~ I hear people use the word ****** everyday in general conversation anymore~ The word ****** is more comonly used in day to day conversation than the word gay now~ and I do not believe that was WAY off in using it for comparison - I personally dont like either word used in a hurtful way towards someone BUT........ on the other hand some folks are just too damn sensitive about words- If the word "Gay" is so offensive to you perhaps you should kick yer bf out and call one of the girls from work for a hot muff divin session tonite!! :wtf:

Its funny to me I hear a gay person use the word faggot against another gay person - and a black person call another black person a ****** -
    But it calls for 20 hail marys if you use a word wrong in front of either of em - suddenly they are OFFENDED ~

Quote Originally Posted by procam
    You are so wrong~ I hear people use the word ****** everyday in general conversation anymore~ The word ****** is more comonly used in day to day conversation than the word gay now~
    That you hear people use it everyday just illustrates my point all the more.

The connotations of words and what they mean to the people speaking and hearing them and how they fit in to modern vernacular is more important that the word itself.

You hear people use "******" all the time, apparently. In what context?

Delivered in spite and in a pejorative sense, I seriously doubt there's any word in the entire English language considered to be more offensive than "******".

But at the same time, it's commonly used as an expression of familiarity and kinship between black people.

Regardless, delivered in a belittling manner, "******" is probably the most offensive word there is. And universally recognized as such. I think you'd be hardpressed to suggest another word that would be generally viewed as being as offensive as "******". Though feel free to offer up suggestions.

Why I didn't think Jasun's example of me calling people niggers in Compton applied was because it was a straw man argument to the point I was making. That's how I viewed it, at least. Me saying that I believe that variance in connotation and denotation exist within the vernacular does not mean I feel you can intentionally insult and offend others and do so out of spite and hate and then try and deflect condemnation for doing so by saying "Oh it's just the vernacular!", which is what I think he was saying I tried to suggest. Maybe I misinterpreted him, but I saw it as a straw man argument.

If homosexuality is a disease, let's all call in queer to work. procam's Avatar
    Color me happy but you must be part African American yourself to be making such a bold stance on this -
    I personally dont find being a white person that if a black person calls me a cracker craka - white trash - honky or any other racial slur any less offensive than the word ****** - I dont like any of them but I sure dont get all bent up about it if someone selects that word for use on me.

And to make it even worse - the word ****** if used by a white person is grounds for fighting material - how many white people do you know willing to put a knife in someone for calling them a craka or a honky or white trash ~

I think I made my point~

Why cant everyone just treat everyone good~ abolish all religions on the planet and dispell all racial and sexual orientation issues and just LIVE!! The world would be a much better place~:penny:

no white person i've ever met gets as offended by being called cracker or honky - because those words never had the same power. i have met a fair amount of white people who have never even heard those terms. sadly i expect that there are VERY few gay men who haven't heard the word "faggot" or black people who haven't heard the word "******". those words have been used against them as a harmful weapon for many decades.

I'm not of the belief, procam, that in the general sense and within language as a whole, "cracka" or "honky" can in any way match the degree of offense - armed with a history of real and extreme hate, misfortune, negative connotation, belittling, slander, perjoration and spite - that the word "******" has.

Perhaps if the words "cracker" and "honky" came about in a society where white people were enslaved and relegated to second class citizens, discriminated against as official policy of the state and even seen as animals, then it'd be a different story.

But ya know what? Just cuz those words make you feel a great deal of offense doesn't put them on the same level as "******" within the context of the language as a whole. You can and may be just as hurt and offended when someone calls you those as a black person would when someone calls them a "******" but that doesn't spread out in to the meaning and treatment of the word within society, culture and the language as a whole.

So, you didn't really make your point to me. You're entitled to feel as offended and I'm not trying to deny you that or minimize the offense you might take were someone to call you those. But I just don't think that has any bearing upon the role and meaning of the word within the vernacular as a whole and across the board.

Now the last paragraph of your last post... I must say it's extremely difficult to disagree with that one

LOVE 4 SALE OR LEASE SEX MONTHLY! :) longboardjim's Avatar
    i find it interesting that no matter how many women a man sleeps with he is never a "slut"
    i am constantly refering to myself as a "slut" but it is very opposite of how i live , i guess it's my way of distracting you from how "pure" i am! :angel:
    words cut deeper than any knife which is why it's always important to think before you speak ( or in my case speak in a language everyone can understand )
    i can't remember a time of ever using the "n-word" , probably because in my dictionary it's the worst word i coud use ( i prefer f*ckyou myself ) along with other "racial" slurs floating around out there.
    it's a very "fine-line" when used in advertising a porn site because on one hand some will find it sexually-titilating to read "cum see our white trash slut boys" and others who just happen to be from a lower income background will find it offensive.
    somewhere in there is a point , but at 200am pst i'm not seeing it , more cofee :coffee:

sincerely ~ ..."choose your words wisely for they may be your undoing!"...

jim - slut is a weapon against a woman because str8 men consider a sexually active women a low low person, and secretly a lot of women fear this - some not secretly.

since most cultures i know of consider that a man is normal to be sexually active, the word slut couldn't be used toward a man seriously. it has no meaning as a sexually active man is considered a good person and a sexually active woman is considered a bad person.

it's sort of like calling a white person a ****** - it can have some negative connotations, but it just doesn't have that impact because it is made to hurt one group of people only.

Quote Originally Posted by desslock
    Letting people demean you is not at all what I mean by my post. And also don't confuse what I say with an idea that you should hide your gay identity.

What if someone is using this terminology, but their intention is not to slander?

But the intention is not the issue; it's the outcome of using the word at all that is the issue here. Obviously, when people say "that's so gay" they (usually) don't mean to demean gay people. But that doesn't make it OK.

My argument about this issue is that the word "gay" was never used in a bad way until homosexuality became a social phenomenon. Before gay people, "gay" meant happy and exuberant and joyful. Then, post Stonewall, "gay" became a negative terminology.

Using this terminology around children especially teaches them that "gay" is a bad thing. REGARDLESS of the intent behind the term, it sends a message that "gay" is not cool. So when a kid starts growing up and learning that certain kids in school are "gay," they will associated with something negative.

I have a friend Leslie who says "that's so gay" or "that's so queer" all the time. I'm always, like, "What are you? In junior high still?" It's an immature form of speak to begin with. Its negative social connotations are just icing on the cake.

Either way you cut it, it's just bad form.
    Ken Knox (aka "Colt Spencer")
    Entertainment Journalist/Porn Writer
    AIM: KKnox0616 / ICQ: 317380607
    www.avnonline.com
    www.HollywoodKen.com
    www.myspace.com/xxxwriterdude