Quote Originally Posted by Dzinerbear
Yes, Tom you make some good points. In my case, on Universal Bear, for instance, I have created a custom 404 page that tries to direct the surfer back into my site ... you're absolutely right that 404 traffic may still be valuable to me. On a review site that I'm running, my goal is to sell memberships, so whether I'm selling one through a review or through a 404 error page, it doesn't matter to me. On a link list, free site, or TGP, I would think about it the same way. The goal is to sell a membership.

Cheers,
Michael
I feel like Tom and you do. For a paysite or an AVS hub, send it back to your own.

Remember one thing about 404 traffic, you don't know much about the surfer. So it MAY not be the best traffic in the world.

I use to send it to my link list. Where they were offered free sites, $1 sites, AVS sites, and a chance to bookmark.

I have had the best luck sending it to email programs (when they were around) and giving them a choice of say 10 $1 trial sites. Would never try and send to traffic to a full price membership site. UNLESS I was playing games with renaming directories and knew a little bit about where the traffic was coming from.